Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Issues with my sky router

This is a discussion on Issues with my sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I really hope someone can help me because this is really starting to annoy me now. We have just switched ...

iTz FiNaL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD soon
      Thanks

Issues with my sky router

I really hope someone can help me because this is really starting to annoy me now.

We have just switched from BT broadband to Sky Max, when we first switched over i realised i could no longer use my old router as it didn't work any more. I plugged in the sky router (Netgear V2 DG934G) and i connected wirelessly very easily on my laptop (which is running XP Pro). I then when to connect my two desktop PCs to the router, which are both running vista ultimate, i couldn't connect wirelessly on either, so i thought i would connect using a cable and it works.

I am now at the stage where my two desktops rarely connect to the router. Sometimes they connect but then they switch to local only connection, sometimes they can't connect at all and sometimes the connection is very slow or slower than usual. The only time i can connect flawlessly is on my laptop or using a cable. When i first connected my sky router i reached speeds of 14 Mbp/s down and 700 kbps up, at this current time i am only getting 6 down. One time i even got 100 - 300 kbps down. When i log into the routers configuration page it normally says 16 Mbps down but now it only says 8 Mbps.

I have been dealing with this issue for a while now and i just can't seem to fix it. I have changed the channel from 1 to 13 then to 6, it worked for a while on channel 6 but now it won't work at all really, i have also turned UPnp off and it still dosen't work.

Sorry for all the text but i really need some help with this issue because it is driving me mad and im the only one in the family with any networking knowledge and they are all bugging me to fix it

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Issues with my sky router

If you have just recently switched you line is probably undergoing DLM training. In theory this should start as soon as your line is active, but with Sky it always seems to be a few days later. This can have the effect of reducing your speed if DLM finds any issues with your line. It does not matter that previously your line was fine, ADSL2+ works on a wider band than BT's Max, so noise on part of the line which was not previously used can cause problems.

Post the stats from the router and this will give an idea of what is going on.

DLM will not effect your wireless connection, this is more likely to be due to overlapping with adjacent networks.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Our orginal activation date was the 17/03/09 but it wasn't fully activated until a few days later when our telephone line went down and when it was back up we had sky broadband. Here are the stats

http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skyr.jpg

Thanks

Yes, your line is undergoing DLM, this is indicated by your upload of 796. Your noise margin is very high, indicating that DLM has found an issue and capped your line accordingly. Very often this is completely unnecessary.

You could try phoning Sky and ask them to configure your line manually, but they may not do this until the 10 day period is up, but it is worth a try. You will have to jump through hoops to get past tier 1 to CST, but once there they will fix it very quickly.

Please just copy and paste your stats as you did before. There is no need for the inconvenience of Imageshack.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for reply, will i ever see speeds of 11 Mbp/s wireless and 14 Mbp/s again because when i first saw this i was very impressed, having only recieved speeds of 6 meg from BT. I have also just changed the wireless channel to 10 and i am connecting wirelessly without an issues so far, but i am confident i will encounter some.

Thanks again

Thanks

There is no reason why you should not be able to sync at the full 16Mb and possibly even 24 Mb if Sky lifts the cap on Max.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just read here Sky User - What Is DLM? Everything you need to know that you should not turn off your router when DLM is running, i have turned off my router not knowing that this was going on, is this the reason my line was possibly capped? What's the best way to remove the cap? My router previously showed the dowstream speed as 16 Mbp/s and now says 8 Mbp/s.

Thanks

Thanks

That is possibly the reason. It may have interpreted the switch off as the line dropping and reduced the speed accordingly. Keep it plugged in and switched on for a couple of days and it may right itself. If it doesn't, as I suggested above, phone Sky.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, i will leave it on heopfully it will fox itsel, i have only turned it off once during the night and this is the first day that it has shown 8 instead of 16. If it dosen't fix itself what should i tell sky when i phone them up?

Thanks alot for the help

Thanks

Just tell them DLM has left your line crippled and you would like it manually configured.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast