Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Issues with my sky router

This is a discussion on Issues with my sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I definitly need to phone sky today, yesterday my downstream speed was 7Mbp/s and today its gone down to 5Mbp/s, ...

iTz FiNaL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD soon
      Thanks

Re: Issues with my sky router

I definitly need to phone sky today, yesterday my downstream speed was 7Mbp/s and today its gone down to 5Mbp/s, thats the third time it gone down in a week.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Are you on your main socket? Do you have a test socket? The system looks to hit a target SNR and will lower your speed till it does, any issues on the line can slow the connection speed down.
      If you have a test socket plug into that and post your router stats, also post a set from your current set up.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I do hate it when people say that
      As one who has some knowledge, I am sure you do, however that does not alter the fact that it is true.
      if the customers sync speed is much lower than the speed suggested during the DSL availability check then even the most script following of agents will pass it to cst for escalation
      You and I know that this is nonsense. The data used to estimate speeds is way out of date and never gives a realistic value. If what you say is true there would be very few getting much more than 4 Mb and none getting 16.

The system looks to hit a target SNR and will lower your speed till it does
      The OPs noise margin had already risen to 24dbs, now it is probably even higher. If it is trying to hit a target, it's aim is not very good. The sooner Sky realise their DLM system is not working the better. God knows how many users who are out there with a completely crippled connection due to Sky's DLM not working as it should. Just because they are not posting here does not mean there is no one else with problems, many probably don't realize they have a problem as Sky have told them they are getting as much as they can.

The OP has already posted his stats, which with a speed of 7Mb, an attenuation of 12 and noise margin of 24 dbs show he is severely capped. What he needs is some advice on how to get past the first line of defence to someone who can really help him.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are my stats today, it seems that everyday my speed is going lower and lower. Im not on my main socket. I will give sky a ring, but im afarid they will just take me through loads of troubleshooting exercises and not put me through to the rigt people to fix my problem. Would i just ask to be put through to sky CST straight away or should i tell the tier one technical support of my issue and they should put me through?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5019 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13 db 6 db
      Noise Margin 26 db 2147483647 db

Thanks again
      Last edited by iTz FiNaL; 29-03-09 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

Your main problem is your negative upload noise margin, that is why there is such a high number shown. DLM may be seeing this as a problem, which it is. Try it in your Test socket, if your upstream noise margin changes to a positive figure, your internal wiring is causing it. If not, it is external and only Sky can get it fixed. Post your stats from the Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK ill try the test socket, it won't decrease my speed any more if i unplug my router will it ?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are my stats from the test socket

Connection Speed 5019 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 12 db 6 db
      Noise Margin 30 db 2147483647 db

Ill give sky a ring because it looks like its their problem and not mine.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I would recommend a fitered faceplate to get the results from the test socket all of the time.

Try ADSL Nation.

Then phone sky to sort out your speed problem to get the best result.
      Connected at 17Mbps on sky unlimited

Test Socket - TCPOptimiser - Kana Form

Thanks

You are loosing a bit of speed due to your extension, but not too much. What you can try is disconnecting the wire from Terminal 3 on the back of the Master socket faceplate. This is the ring wire and can cause interference in some cases. It is not required with modern phones or when using filters.
      If there is a way you can plug the router into the master socket permanently, then I would certainly advise a filtered faceplate. If this would be inconvenient, then I would leave it for the time being. What many don't realise is that if you put a filtered plate on the Master socket, that is the only one you can use for broadband. One member has already made this mistake and I would not like to see another make it

The worrying thing is that your upstream noise margin is still negative which means the problem is out with your control. Your downstream noise margin is good enough to give you a good speed from your normal socket, so I would phone Sky and ask them to trouble-shoot your connection, they may be able to do something about the negative noise. Keep it plugged into the Test socket when you phone, they will probably ask you to do this and it saves a call back. When you plug back into your normal socket you may loose a bit of speed, but not enough to worry about.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Phoned sky yesterday and they were putting me through th CST but i was on hold for almost 70 mins, so i had to hang up ill ring them back today. I have always had to plug the router into my extension socket as thats the most convienent place to put it, my master socket being in the living room is to far for my wired devices to travel. Will i definitly have to have my router plugged into my test socket when i phone up or is it just recommended that i do so?

My speed seems to have gone down again, will i ventually lose my connection because at this rate my connection is going down by 1Mbp/s - 2Mbp/s everyday

Connection Speed 3069 kbps 252 kbps
      Line Attenuation 13 db 6 db
      Noise Margin 31 db 2147483647 db

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast