Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Home network using a mac and Vista problem!

This is a discussion on Home network using a mac and Vista problem! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have sky broadband set up at home and have two windows Vista laptops set up and running very ...

Charlie999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01902
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Home network using a mac and Vista problem!

Hi,

I have sky broadband set up at home and have two windows Vista laptops set up and running very well indeed. They can both access the internet and I can pass files between each one without any problems. I also have a printer installed on one laptop that I have been able to share. The other laptop prints faultlessly over the network. I have had this setup running like this for a while.

The other day I purchased a Macbook which is running the latest operating system and has been updated online with the Mac updates. I am new to Mac's so bear with me. I have managed to connect to the router and I can connect to the internet without any problems at all. I have changed the network name so its the same as the others (MSHOME) and managed to tell the Mac to share some folders.

The two Vista laptops can see my Mac on the system and read and write to the folders but the Mac cannot see the Vista laptops. I have also tried to install a printer on the Mac i.e. the Network printer on the Vista laptop but it wont find it.

I have Mcafee on the Vista laptops which I have set up telling it to trust the network.

Can anyone please help?

I went into PC world the other day and a bloke there said that the router that sky use wont allow Macs to network but could not expand on why or offer any way around it.

Looking forward to the replies as I love the Mac other than this.

Charlie

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Home network using a mac and Vista problem!

I went into PC world the other day and a bloke there said that the router that sky use wont allow Macs to network
      Don't believe anything you are told by a politician or anyone who works for PCWorld.

Here is a good tutorial about Macs and Vista networking.
      How do I... Add Macs to a Windows Vista workgroup?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Charlie999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01902
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I have done most of what is required on the page you have supplied the link for especially with regards to the Windows stuff. i.e. the sharing of files and the sharing of the printer etc.

Its when I get to the Mac part when I get stuck. First of all I don't have an application called "Directory Access" but I have "Directory Utility". I think this does the same though but I don't have SMB/CIFS in the list. This I think allows you to change the work group name. Mind you I can see the Mac from the windows machines so presumably I have the same network name already selected.

I have read somewhere (although I cant remember where now) that the problem may be that the security settings on the windows PC is higher than the Mac so it wont let them communicate. Could this be the problem maybe and if so how do you change it?

Charlie

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The only security on the PCs that would stop communication with the Mac is the firewalls or McAfee. You could try disabling the firewalls and disabling or turning off McAffee. The latter is very guilty of causing connection problems.

I am sure there are other members who have managed to network PCs and Macs, it might have been better if you had posted in the Mac section of the forum.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.