Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

speed stat check

This is a discussion on speed stat check within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; justr ordered a filter face plate, hopefully it will speed things up - im not going to hold my breath ...

doc12inch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: hednedford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: speed stat check

justr ordered a filter face plate, hopefully it will speed things up - im not going to hold my breath haha

am I right in saying it should lower my noise margin to bump up my speed?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The figures from your Test socket show you are getting as much as your line can handle. Theoretically your attenuation should give you much more, so this means you have noise problems on your external line. A filtered faceplate is not going to fix this.

When you remove the faceplate from your master socket, are all your other sockets dead?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The figures from your Test socket show you are getting as much as your line can handle. Theoretically your attenuation should give you much more, so this means you have noise problems on your external line. A filtered faceplate is not going to fix this.

When you remove the faceplate from your master socket, are all your other sockets dead?

dam

thats 15 down the drain
      when I remove the master socket yes all lines go dead.

Thanks

thats 15 down the drain
      No, if you have extensions a filtered faceplate is a very good buy, provided you connect to it. You must understand though, if you fit a filtered faceplate to your Master socket, none of your extensions will support broadband, as the signal to them is already filtered. Depending on how your extensions are wired it may be possible to create a dedicated broadband extension. If the extensions are connected by individual cables, spiderwise, it is fairly straight forward. If they are wired in a loop fashion, with one cable from the master running through all the extensions, then it is really only possible to make the first extension on the loop an ADSL socket and expect any success.

How many extensions do you have and how are they wired?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No, if you have extensions a filtered faceplate is a very good buy, provided you connect to it. You must understand though, if you fit a filtered faceplate to your Master socket, none of your extensions will support broadband, as the signal to them is already filtered. Depending on how your extensions are wired it may be possible to create a dedicated broadband extension. If the extensions are connected by individual cables, spiderwise, it is fairly straight forward. If they are wired in a loop fashion, with one cable from the master running through all the extensions, then it is really only possible to make the first extension on the loop an ADSL socket and expect any success.

How many extensions do you have and how are they wired?
      i only have one extension, the master is upstairs and I run the router off the downstairs extension

not really sure how to tell you how its wired up except that there is no actual wires in the extension down stairs all the main wires are on the master

from reading your last post it looks like if I put the filtered plate on the master upstairs I wont be able to connect my router to the downstairs line because it wont work it that right?

Thanks

That's right, unless you use the unfiltered terminals on the filtered plate to connect your extension. You would then need a filter on your extension. This could be the plug in type or another filtered faceplate like this- XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation The advantage in doing this would be that either socket could be used should you decide to change the position of your router.

I should point out that, as I said earlier, fitting a filtered faceplate, no matter how you do it is not going to solve your problem. There is a noise problem on your outside line which only Sky, through BT, can get fixed. Have a look around outside your house and see if you can see any obvious faults with your line. I realise this is impossible if you have an underground supply.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

That's right, unless you use the unfiltered terminals on the filtered plate to connect your extension. You would then need a filter on your extension. This could be the plug in type or another filtered faceplate like this- XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation The advantage in doing this would be that either socket could be used should you decide to change the position of your router.

I should point out that, as I said earlier, fitting a filtered faceplate, no matter how you do it is not going to solve your problem. There is a noise problem on your outside line which only Sky, through BT, can get fixed. Have a look around outside your house and see if you can see any obvious faults with your line. I realise this is impossible if you have an underground supply.
      my supply is underground so theres not much I can do

ive tried the quiet line test on my cordless phone and its very clear and no noise can be heard so as you say it must be a problem that I cannot fix

how would I put this to sky to go and have a word with bt - if there is no noise on my line that I can hear then im not sure why they would bother coming out

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky won't do anything about it - you've gotta get BT to sort it out...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

BTO will do nothing about a Broadband problem, they are only interested in the voice side of the line. It is quite possibly a fault at the exchange, BTO will only check when asked to do so by the ISP, they will simply refer you back to them. If Sky have stopped asking for line checks then it does not bode well for the LLU service, it will follow the Connect down the drain.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

BTO will do nothing about a Broadband problem, they are only interested in the voice side of the line. It is quite possibly a fault at the exchange, BTO will only check when asked to do so by the ISP, they will simply refer you back to them. If Sky have stopped asking for line checks then it does not bode well for the LLU service, it will follow the Connect down the drain.
      shall i ring sky and go through the hole speed issue with them?

maybe they will pass the problem onto bt - am I barking up the wrong tree?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast