Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unbeleivably Slow Speeds (Under 80kbps)

This is a discussion on Unbeleivably Slow Speeds (Under 80kbps) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, im at my girlfriends house for the week while her parents are away and brought my laptop down. Jamp ...

Duncan1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kennoway
      Broadband ISP: BT Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unbeleivably Slow Speeds (Under 80kbps)

Well, im at my girlfriends house for the week while her parents are away and brought my laptop down. Jamp on her wireless and it was absolutely unbeleivably slow. Speed test reporting an incredibly slow 77Kbps down and around 200 up.

Logged into the router after the help of good old google for the username and password and the stats were around this:

Down Attenuation, 31db, Down noise margin, 10db, Down sync 6k ish
      Up attenuation 14db, Up noise margin 24db, Up sync 412

Straight away blamed where her router was, around 20m worth of extension cable running through attic and into her upstairs room, seemed obvious that me grabbing a spare cable from mine and plugging into the master socket would solve the problem. Aparently not, unscrewed the master socket and into test socket, no improvements really, well I got upto a massive 90kbps from a speed test!

Stats plugged into test socket were around:
      Down attenuation 24db, Down noise margin, 21db, Down sync 8k
      Up attenuation 14db, Up noise margin 25db, Up sync 412

My girlfreind is around 1.7miles from her exchange which is NOT LLU activated so im guessing shes on one of the connect packages (she has no idea).

Is there anything else i need to look into or is it time to make her phone sky for an engineer to come out?

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Unbeleivably Slow Speeds (Under 80kbps)

you are correct in one matter the attenuation dropped through the floor and the noise margin went up and the router synched at the max for BT ADSL max which was 8 meg/sec when you moved the router to the test socket.

So the 20m of extention cable was comprimising the speed by an awful lot to drop it off the 8 meg/sec cap.

There are several things going on here, if you are using wireless then it will be an awful lot slower than using good old fasioned ethernet, due to the 2.4Ghz spectrum being chock full of devices that your neighbours may be using. I can see 6 other routers when I do a site survey and I use 8 non-wi fi wireless devices as well so there is already clashes going on in my neighbourhood.

Also speed test sites can be pretty woeful try speed.io and the Sky user speed tester which is on this site (on the front page) which tend to be fairly accurate.

Also the Sky Connect package is heavily oversubscribed for the capacity that Sky has bought off BT and have introduced heavy throttling during the hours of 5pm and midnight.

So try the recommended speed test sites using an ethernet cable from the master socket before 5pm and that should give you a lot better idea of what is going on.

Right as for possible solutions instead of using a 20m phone extention cable, the router can be near the phone socket and your girlfriend can use a set of powerline homeplugs.

These things are fantastic, they turn the electrical wiring in the house into data lines, so you can have the router near the phone socket, then an ethernet cable goes into one powerline plug and the other one goes wherever she has her laptop.

If she still wants to use wireless then that is not a problem as you can just hook up a wireless access point in the room she is in off the homeplug.

Amazon have a pair of 85 meg/sec ones for under 40

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have not posted the stats vey well. Can you go to the router settings, click the Show Stats link and copy and paste everything here.

It appears to me that you may be on a Mid connection, not Connect and on ADSL2+.

Take all stats from the Test socket for a true result. The wiring really needs some work, which when done, should give you around 8Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Stats plugged into test socket were around:
      Down attenuation 24db, Down noise margin, 21db, Down sync 8k
      Up attenuation 14db, Up noise margin 25db, Up sync 412

That was what the OP done on the test socket.

That's BT ADSL max with the attenuation and huge noise margin, plus he said the exchange had no LLU providers.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the upstream attenuation is 412dbs, it is definitely Mid and on ADSL2+. Upstream connect would be 448.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.