Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband Woes

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Woes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks. Really hope you guys can help me. I'm in a bit of a pickle. Let me explain. My ...

Nitro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEWAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Woes

Hi folks.

Really hope you guys can help me. I'm in a bit of a pickle. Let me explain. My questions are in BOLD.

I have Sky Broadband Connect (for a fiver, long story but I don't want to leave Sky as it's a good deal) and it's going really slow. My speeds have been dropping for months and are now as low as 846kbps downstream.

I have looked at my phone socket and the wiring is fine (no bell wire for example) but the thing is, I think I'm quite a way away from the phone exchange I'm on. More on that in a minute.

Now, I recently got the new black Sky router (DG934) hoping this would help my broadband issues, as it was dropping out and sluggish. I just recently got a PS3 so as you can imagine I want to be able to play online with a good connection.

So here I am, no further forward and in fact my new router seems slower in Downstream speed than my old one.

I ran TCPOptimizer and since Connect is maximum of 8mb, I put in 8000kbps and optimized. Did I do the right thing here?

Now, I was thinking of flashing the firmware but I don't believe that makes any difference, but I can't find the latest firmware (Sky version) for this router. Can someone point me in the right direction?

So a friend told me there is another exchange not far from my flat, so he said I should ask BT to move me to that exchange. I've done a bit of research, and this closer exchange also has Sky/Easynet enabled. So surely I should go there and then call Sky to get Max? Can this be done? Is there a cost? Is it BT Openreach I speak to?

I've also spoken directly to BT and they said the line is fine. Speaking to Sky is a NIGHTMARE as I keep getting through to people who don't speak good English.

And finally, my stats. I hope this is what you gurus need and any help is greatly appreciated.

NetGear DG934 [Sky Firmware] V2-Black

System Up Time: 00:27:12
      PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
      WANPPPoA591073080610427600:25:50
      LAN100M/Full795965220438771300:27:07
      WLAN11M/54M0000000:00:00
      ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
      Connection Speed992 kbps448 kbps
      Line Attenuation60 db31 db
      Noise Margin12 db20 db

Thanks
      Gary
      Last edited by Nitro; 24-03-09 at 11:14 PM.

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband Woes

Nitro
      Hi Gary if you have a look at this thread it will tell you why you are getting slow speeds. also if you do a Bt Performance test copy and paste to your next post either on this thread or on the Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down
      the Sky username is the MAC address off the bottom of your router with @skydsl at the end, e.g. 00234C2A4F5@skydsl

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I doubt you can be moved to another exchange as your phisical line doesn't go there.

Connect has problems and gaming is one of the things being affected badly at times (most times).

Other than switching to a supplier who can offer the product with better management there is little you can do.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 25-03-09 at 06:06 PM.

Nitro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEWAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      Nitro
      Hi Gary if you have a look at this thread it will tell you why you are getting slow speeds. also if you do a Bt Performance test copy and paste to your next post either on this thread or on the Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down
      I will do that when I get in from work tonight, can I just ask though, your location says Washington. Is that Washington as in the town near Sunderland? Because that's where I live and if that's so it's scary. We must be on the same exchange too.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Nitro
      Hi Gary that is right. You can check the exchange and updates on
      Just about everywhere around Washington has LLU and I would say as a town we are bigger than most and still growing we 23,525. residential Customers and 1,136 none residential Customers at the exchange. anyway have a read and I will catch you later