Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

High Packet Loss

This is a discussion on High Packet Loss within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've been on sky Connect for a while now (since about last october) but recently I've started noticing a ...

chrisvenus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01865
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

High Packet Loss

Hi,

I've been on sky Connect for a while now (since about last october) but recently I've started noticing a large amount of packet loss at times and am hoping to get some help from people on what I might be able to do to resolve the situation.

I first came across these problems while diagnosing problems I had while online gaming (World of Warcraft) in which I was at times being disconnected quite regularly. After looking at a few things I noticed I was getting a large amount of packet loss, sometimes as high as 15%.

The testing was done by pinging a known reliable machine 100 times each attempt. The machine was part of a reliable academic network and happened to just be an IP address I know off the top of my head.

I also pinged the ADSL router/wireless box itself and got 0% packet loss so I'm relatively sure its my ADSL connection at fault.

I'm on Sky Connect and getting bacndwidths of about 6meg down. I managed to log into the router to try to look at stats but I'm unclear on what exactly I am looking at. I coudln't find detailed stats for errors anywhere but I got the following:

Line Attenuation
      Down: 9db
      Up: 2.5db
      Noise Margin
      Down: 12db
      Up: 24db

This was done sometime last week when I was noticing the problems, last night when the packet loss was down to only abotu 2% I got:

Line Attenuation
      Down: 8db
      Up: 2.5db
      Noise Margin
      Down: 12db
      Up: 23db

I should add that in my profile when asked what router I had I just left it on default because I'm not at home so can't check which router I have. As I say, I got it last october so I guess the latest models they are sending out...

The key things as I see it are that I am not getting my connection dropping entirely, just severe packet loss. I'm confused about whether this means that it is line noise because I got the impression from browsing the net that this caused total disconnects usually. On the other hand I'm not sure what else would cause actual packet loss as opposed to just slowdown...

Also it seems to have become worse recently (though I couldn't say for sure exactly when it started since I initially put my gaming problems down to a low spec computer and everything else seems to recover from dropped packets much more gracefully). I don't know if this point at more use of ADSL on the exchange recently or something (it does seem worse in peak times but that is not empirically tested)..

If anybody is able to suggest things I may be able to do to improve my connection then I would be most grateful though I suspect first I'll need people to tell me what I might be able to do to troubleshoot my connection further...

Chris

P.S. My usual disclaimer of sorry if this is the wrong forum, sorry for registering to just go "wah! teh internets! she is broken!" and all that. If I am being noobish please point me at the right place to go and ask for help. From what I saw of some forum browsing though this does seem like a place for of helpful people... (flattery may well get me somewhere ;-) )

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: High Packet Loss

If this is after 5pm then it could be due to Traffic Shaping.

There's a huge thread here:

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Incidentally, our most ever replied to thread, in just over 2 months of being started.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

I had seen that thread but hadn't realised that the throttling may cause packet loss but I guess it makes sense, high enough traffic levels with sever enough throttling - somethings gotta get lost somewhere...

I'll check if I do seem to be suffering from throttling when I get a chance and post to that thread...

I feel bad to be asking but given its a 101 page thread I suspect finding anything hugely useful in there might be hard... I've read the first post that explains what is going on - is there any more in that that is worth me reading or is it mainly people giving their problems and stats?

I don't really want to read 100 pages of people posting bandwidth figures to find that there is nothing more helpful for me in there. ;-)

And thanks very much for the quick reply...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

it's pretty much Steve's blog - posting speed tests during and after traffic shaping periods...

the main jist is: -

- it happens between 5PM and Midnight;
      - it shouldn't affect browsing;
      - it can't be stopped;
      - it's Sky's lack of capacity on top of the shaping making some connection unbearable
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

So looks like my best bet then is to try to cancel my sky broadband and go with somebody else instead.

Shame really, it had been working so well up until recently.