Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

LLU questions

This is a discussion on LLU questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all nice site here Got a question or two that i'd like answered if poss. My girlfriend lives in ...

sorethumbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

LLU questions

Hi all nice site here

Got a question or two that i'd like answered if poss.

My girlfriend lives in exeter 1.5km from the exchange and has Sky Max and gets only 3.5 meg connection

On both the O2 and Sky broadband line checker pages i have filled in her tel number and get these results (also did my grans house a bit further on down the road from the exchange for comparison) now....

for girlfriends number - O2 says line supports 7mb - Sky says 2.5mb (she gets 3.5mb)
      Grannys house - O2 says 6mb Sky says 2.5mb

I'm a bit confused with all the technical terms but i understand to be on a LLU enabled exchange is more beneficial, correct?

Reason i'm asking is that i currently am on O2 access product out in the sticks where i live and we are looking to buy a house in Exeter and we're wondering which of our current suppliers we should take to our new house, my O2 or her Sky.

It seems O2 are winning from looking into things but on the sam knows website the Exeter exchange is 'LLU' for both Sky and O2, why would there be such a difference in the two services unless her Sky package isn't LLU - how do i find out why Sky is poorer, and as she is on 'Max' and doesn't seem to benefit in any way only getting 3.5 meg i might tell her to downgrade to mid.

That leads me to my last question, if she downgrades is she committing to a new contract for further 12 months - which we wouldn't want should we buy a house soon and want to cancel sky.

Sorry lots of waffle there, any suggestions welcomed - no stats available at moment as i'm not at her house!

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: LLU questions

sorethumbs
      Hi you must appreciate that without stats no one can give you exact information.
      My girlfriend lives in exeter 1.5km from the exchange and has Sky Max and gets only 3.5 meg connection
      stats needed
      On both the O2 and Sky broadband line checker pages i have filled in her tel number and get these results (also did my grans house a bit further on down the road from the exchange for comparison) now....for girlfriends number - O2 says line supports 7mb - Sky says 2.5mb (she gets 3.5mb)Grannys house - O2 says 6mb Sky says 2.5mb
      These are approx speeds

Yes LLU is better is your girlfriend on LLU because if she is not then she is on connect max a Bt rebranded product as you are with O2 the way to find out if she is on Sky connect is to have a look at her router maintenance page click on show statistics on the up stream if it shows 448kbps that is Sky connect
      you would be able to get all the information you need but you need to post the stats on this thread

sorethumbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01392
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Cheers Steve when i see her next i will check that setting check out her stats (ooh-er)

Is it known for people to be on 'connect max' even though LLU is available and is there any way to be switched to LLU if i find out she is on connect max

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

she'd only be put onto Connect if the exchange is out of capacity on the LLU products - otherwise she'll go straight on to LLU...

as to speeds, without knowing the attenuation/noise margin of her current connection we can't make judgments...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the difference in estimated speeds between O2 and Sky is down to Sky using the outdated BT line checker. On LLU the speeds would be about double the quoted speed. I don't know why Sky do not update their system, O2 obviously have.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.