Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

another stats check

This is a discussion on another stats check within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, the two wires from the BT pole go into the connectors at the rear of the socket on the ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: another stats check

Ok, the two wires from the BT pole go into the connectors at the rear of the socket on the wall marked A & B (it doesn't matter which way around they go).

The other wires go in the terminals marked 2 & 5 on the faceplate that is removeable. This means that when you remove the faceplate all the sockets except the test socket will be dead.

You can then plug the router into the test socket and get the stats without any interference from the rest of the house wiring.

2. Advertisement
      Yakuza1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton (SMWV)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ah, ok. I get it

i'll try to have a mess about with that and see what stats i get from the socket then

thanks for the help so far. It would be nice to at least know where the problem lies even if we can't do anything about in the end

Thanks

rewired the master socket now. It seems to be working properly now and none of my extensions in the other rooms work when the faceplate is removed. Can't hear any noise on the line when it is connected to either the test socket, or any other socket in the house

stats from the test socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46.5 db 24.6 db
      Noise Margin 10.3 db 11.5 db

will plug back into the socket it was in before now and post stats again from that one. We'll see if it is any different

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your speed will stay the same, but your noise margin will probably drop. Leave it in the test socket overnight and I think the speed will rise. DLM seems to 'do it's thing' in the early hours.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

stats when back in the normal socket

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 24.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 11.5 db

so yes, noise margin dropped and nothing else really changed

If I do leave it in the test socket overnight and the speed improves is it only going to drop again when I plug it back in the normal socket when DLM runs again?

Thanks

I left it in the test socket all night and the noise margin went up to 11.4 but nothing else changed. Moved back to the normal socket and noise margin has dropped back to 6.8

are there any other options with this or am Ijust destined to have a slow connection? Contact sky and see if they are capping it?

also .. the noise ratio thing just points to me having a bad line to the house? or bad wiring within the house? or not necessarily either of those?

thanks again for the help so far

Thanks

The changes in the noise margin indicate that your internal wiring is causing interference. You can overcome this be fitting a Filtered faceplate and using the ADSL outlet on the faceplate. This will isolate all your internal wiring and give you virtually the same result as the Test socket.

Although your line is capped there is not much point in getting it lifted until you sort out the wiring. The low noise margin shows that in your normal position, your line is getting as much as it can take.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I cant really use the master socket long term as there is no decent power supply near it for the router

If I cant actually use that master socket will changing the faceplate affect the other sockets in the house at all. I will need to keep the router connected to the same socket as it is current in, but if changing that master socket will improve things on the other sockets then i'll have a go at that. If not, then it looks like I am a bit stuck

Or is there any option for changing all of the sockets for anything that will help? There is only that master socket, and 2 extensions in the house.

Thanks

You could use a long RJ11 cable to connect the router. Good quality one will have very little loss up to about 15 M. Provided you can find a reasonable root for it that may be a solution.

When you fit a filtered faceplate, the other sockets become incapable of receiving ADSL. If the sockets are all wired back to the Master, as opposed to being looped, you could make one of them a dedicated ADSL socket. How successful this would be would depend on the quality of your wiring.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

You could just disconnect the ring wire on terminal 3 on all of the extensions, this would do the same thing as a filtered faceplate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast