Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

stats check

This is a discussion on stats check within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; these are the new speeds after BTO engineer called, Connection Speed 4871 kbps 412 kbps Line Attenuation 51 db 31 ...

simon 2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kenilworth
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: stats check

these are the new speeds after BTO engineer called,

Connection Speed 4871 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 25 db

he seemed a bit annoyed to have been called out after he found my line to be quite stable and syncing at 4meg and no noise on the line,he said his remit was just to check my line and not to increase my speed or try other pairs,even though the sky CST guy said he would try that,maybe change my socket and try other things,CST said it would take about 2 hours to investigate ,he was here maybe 30-40 mins max and some of that was drinking tea and chatting (nearest KFC or MC'D's),he said no way this line was ever reported at 21db line att and sky must have been reporting my old address stats,no complaints he did his job,also fair enough sky rang me within half an hour of him leaving saying im syncing at 5 was at 3 so best i can expect really and they wont DLM me,a bit gutted but better than some i guess

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have an idea of how far you are from the exchange? To have an attenuation of 21 you would have to be fairly close. Put your post code in here and it will give you an idea of the 'crow flies' distance, which you can usually double to get close to your line length.-
      Samknows - Mapping

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

he said im around 3.8k,where as my old address was 1.8k,so maybe the CST guy checked my old adress reports
      samknows says 1430m
      thanks

Thanks

gone down again i was assured they would not turn DLM on getting fed up now can here virgin bb fibre optic calling 20 meg in my street

Connection Speed 3808 kbps 412 kbps
      Noise Margin 8 db 25 db
      Last edited by simon 2003; 23-03-09 at 09:32 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

DLM isn't on the line - SNR is the same as before so just a noise issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

noise has always been around that though m8,so why the fluctuation in speed,downstream noise margin was 2 earlier,is it worth ringing again??

Thanks

You have noise on your line. When it becomes too great, it causes the line to drop and resync at a speed the router can handle with a noise margin of about 7dbs. The noise margin will then fluctuate, rising or falling according to the noise on the line. It will not drop and reboot at a higher speed, no matter how high the margin goes, but more noise will cause it to drop and sync again at a lower speed. I doubt if there is much point in ringing, they may set your speed higher but it will just drop again. If you check your margin early morning, you will probably find that it has risen, reboot your router then and you will resync at a higher speed, until the noise builds up again on the line. Depending on how noisy the line is it will either hold or drop again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

forgive me but is the noise margin up basically because of people using the lines in my area.and is higher or lower better

Thanks

No the noise margin is not up, the noise on your line is up, which is a different thing. This can be caused by all sorts of interference, others using the lines being just one of them, the darkness, strange as it seems, is another. Don't ask me why, it has something to do with cosmic radiation or so I have read.

The noise margin used by the router is like a safety valve which allows for a certain amount of noise to be present, but when that is exceeded the router cannot handle it and drops it's connection. The higher the noise margin, the more stable the line.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

gone seriously slow now,this happened last night too,i thought i had malware or somthing slowing me down,although the router still reports

3808 kbps 412 kbps
      Noise Margin 7 db 25 db

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast