Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disconnetion problems with Sagem and Solwise 85PE

This is a discussion on Disconnetion problems with Sagem and Solwise 85PE within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Really hoping someone can advise on a problem I've been experiencing with a Sagem/Solwise 85PE (homeplug) setup. Running on ...

mrgiggly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Disconnetion problems with Sagem and Solwise 85PE

Hi,

Really hoping someone can advise on a problem I've been experiencing with a Sagem/Solwise 85PE (homeplug) setup.

Running on Vista 64, with a PS3 (wired) and laptop (wireless) also connected

I receive disconnects (orange light) typically with torrents, updates for certain games and downloads and certain webstes (ign.com as an example) which require a router reboot. The rest of the time the connection is very good.

If I switch to wireless I don't experience this problem. Unfortunately as I spend quite a bit of time online gaming I find its not as smooth especially with the issue of Vistas annoying 60 sec network search routine which manifests itself in the form of lag spikes and freezes in gameplay.

I'm thinking the only real way to resolve it is to hard wire cable upstairs but I'd rather not do this if a fix exists for the homeplug route.

Spent approx 2hrs on the phone to sky who as expected ran through the usual set questions and couldn't offer a solution.

Hoping that someone out there has experienced the same issue and found a solution as having to traipse downstairs and hit the reset button everytime it occurs is starting to wear very thin.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Disconnetion problems with Sagem and Solwise 85PE

Where are the homeplugs plugged in? They work better into mains sockets and not extensions.

Try moving them onto another socket on their away from any interference they may be picking up, mine work great just about anywhere.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Situated round the back of the tv on an extension underneath a mass of cables. I'll run them on a clean socket and see how it goes, thanks for the tip !

Exchange:
      Thanks

Whilst plugging the homeplugs directly into wall sockets seemed to reduce the number of disco's it didn't prevent them altogether. More curiously I tried two different sockets in the same room downstairs. Max download speed I could manage on the first was 700K, on the second I couldn't get above 370K.

Finally gave up this week and ordered some external cable and and a new socket which I wired up today. Was an absolute breeze to do and works perfectly now. No idea why I suffered this long.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

There are odd occasions where the house wiring is very noisey and the homeplugs cannot filter it out, I guess you are one of these occasions Either that or one of the plugs has a fault.

You still just cannot beat a bit of wire, even in this day and age.

UKJim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrgiggly View Post
      Whilst plugging the homeplugs directly into wall sockets seemed to reduce the number of disco's it didn't prevent them altogether. More curiously I tried two different sockets in the same room downstairs. Max download speed I could manage on the first was 700K, on the second I couldn't get above 370K.

Finally gave up this week and ordered some external cable and and a new socket which I wired up today. Was an absolute breeze to do and works perfectly now. No idea why I suffered this long.
      I also have this problem and I am wondering what do you mean by external cable and new socket? do you mean a new mains socket put in the room or somethign else? Im going to try the plugging into a different wall socket and see if it helps but if not Im not sure how to go about this. My modem always disconnects if I use torrents that are going any more than 600Kb/s, if I leave it unlimited it reaches +1MB/s and eventually disconnects. Thanks for your help guys, Im glad Im not the only one.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrgiggly View Post
      Hi,

I find its not as smooth especially with the issue of Vistas annoying 60 sec network search routine which manifests itself in the form of lag spikes and freezes in gameplay.
      If you are still having this problem you might want to try this little application -
      WLAN Optimizer .NET

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.