Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Keep losing connection

This is a discussion on Keep losing connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thanks for that Isitme, I've tried finding the utility to find the lan mac number of my router but can't ...

Maverich is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Keep losing connection

Thanks for that Isitme, I've tried finding the utility to find the lan mac number of my router but can't seem to locate it, don't suppose someone could point me in the right direction?

I have spoken to my landlord to see if there is anyway I can use my master socket but short of him drilling a hole through the wall doesn't look like it's going to happen. I am happy with a speed of 3-4mb just what i'm after is a stable speed for when i'm gaming online.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry found the number needed, these are the results i got,

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 5440 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3684 kbps

This good?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is not too bad but your sync speed is a bit low compared to the Test socket and your Profile is a bit low for your present sync. If you leave things as they are and boot once a day, in the evening, your sync and profile may go up a bit. Don't boot too often or it may be seen as a fault on the line and you will get the opposite result. If your connection should drop it should reconnect itself with no input from you.

Depending on how you are wired, it may be possible to install a dedicated ADSL connection by wiring into the back of a filtered faceplate. How many extensions do you have and how are the wired, individually from the Master or looped from one to another?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have two extensions and I believe are looped from one to another, that bad?

Am I right in thinking that Sky Connect really isn't good for online gaming? If this is the case should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks again for your help on this.

Thanks

To be honest if you are a serious gamer and there is no prospect of getting Sky LLU, you would be better looking for another ISP. Several have dedicated gamer packages which guarantee a minimum speed. Plusnet lay out their terms clearly and I guess you will get what you pay for. Other ISPs. apart from Sky, may do the same.

You will have seen the thread which deals with throttling on Connect, there is a good chance you will be cut back no matter what speed you are able to get in the 'good times'.

If your wiring is looped it would be fairly easy to convert the first linebox in your flat/house to an NTE5. The existing Master would then be purely a junction box. It is a strange set up if the Master is not within your property.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I do consider myself a serious gamer and like you said after reading a lot comments on Sky throttling the line this really does concern me. There is also no prospect of LLU in this area.

Not sure if you can help with this question and that is how do I go about switching to another ISP(thinking about idnet), I understand i'll need a Mac code but am worried that this will take long to get and will take me over the 8 day cooling off period thus having to pay for a 12 month contract, Is there a good way to approach this?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Just ring and tell them you need your MAC code as you intend to leave during your cooling off period, as long as youi ask for it within the period you will be fine.

The have 5 days to get it to you and then you ring you new ISP, give them the code and away you go.

Thanks

It does not matter what ISP you go to, you are better getting your wiring sorted out. If you only have one wire leading from the Master it is fairly simple.
      Unscrew the 2 plates on the Master and connect the wire going into your flat direct to the A-B terminals of the Master socket.
      Replace the first box in your flat with an NTE5 linebox with a filtered faceplate and connect the incoming wire to the A-B terminals.
      Connect the outgoing wire to your extensions to terminals 2 and 5 on the faceplate.
      You will now have an clean ADSL connection to the main phone line.
      Finally fit a blank faceplate to the outside box to prevent unauthorised use.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It does not matter what ISP you go to, you are better getting your wiring sorted out. If you only have one wire leading from the Master it is fairly simple.
      Listen to him, he is talking sense!!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll definitely get my line sorted. If it's as simple as the way you explain then I should have a problem doing it. This NTE5 linebox, is it expensive?

Also i'd like to add that you guys are an asset to this site!! Thanks for all your hard work and time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123