Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Master socket disconnected?

This is a discussion on Master socket disconnected? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, A bit of background, bear with me! We started having connection issues a few weeks ago on our Sky ...

d00fus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Clapham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Master socket disconnected?

Hi,

A bit of background, bear with me! We started having connection issues a few weeks ago on our Sky Max connection, which seemed to coincide with the (Sagem) router upgrading itself to 1.9Sky. We originally had the Netgear V1 which worked fine, and the Sagem worked fine for the first few months but at some point after the issues started I noticed it reporting 1.9 when I seem to remember 1.5(?) previously.

The issue is that after period of time, usually around 8-12 hours, the connection becomes so slow as to be unusable. It doesn't seem to equate to a particular time of day, more the length of time it's been connected. A reboot fixes it (temporarily!).

I've been reading all the threads here and trying to work my way through the suggestions. I've disabled UPnP and I've tried it in different sockets in the house (Sky support suggested this), neither of which had any effect. I should also add that we have an Ethernet connection, so I've discounted wireless problems. Next on the list was to try the engineer test point in the master socket, however it seems to be dead - no dial tone and no ADSL of course. Is this normal?? Should I try to fix this or is it not likely to tell me much anyway?

My stats don't seem to indicate the noise margin problems that some of the threads describe, but I might be misunderstanding. Connected last night at 9476 downstream, NM 6.9, then this morning it was "dead" (still connected as above but no transfer) so I rebooted, and got 10500, NM 7.1, which doesn't seem much different. The Sky guy said our line should support 16mb no problem (and the calc here agrees based on our attentuation of 24.5db) so it is syncing very low, which is why I wanted to try the master socket.

Also, if I should try to get the master test socket working, is that a BT job or can I do it myself? I'm sorry if this question has been asked but I couldn't see it when searching! And apologies for the long post, thought more info was better than too little

Thanks very much,
      James

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Master socket disconnected?

Dead socket on test socket is not normal no. If the test socket is dead it's a BT job unless you want to DIY it and incur their wrath lol. Is that the only socket you have on your line?

Thanks

Hehe I figured I'll probably avoid incurring their wrath for now at least, so in that case I guess I should give them a call and get them to come take a look.

The line seems to come in from outside and from trying to follow the wires (I'm not really an expert!) either splits and goes to both the master socket and a normal one nearby (which is the one we've been using for ADSL), or goes to the master and then comes off that to the other one. Then it seems to go from the normal one all over the place - one down through the floor, another along the wall into the rest of the house.

Thanks

I should say that I also tried our old router from our last place (a Netgear RangeMax WPN824) using the techniques from this forum *cough*. It was usually very reliable, but on the same socket as we're using now it suffered from the same problem, so unless there was also some firmware "upgrade" at the exchange to match our router upgrade that triggered the problem to start I'm a bit mystified
      Last edited by d00fus; 13-03-09 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Clarified

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If your Master socket is working then the Test socket is also working. If you are not getting anything when you plug into it, it is probably not making a clean connection. If you work the plug in and out of the socket a few times this should clear it. It would help if you squirt a small amount of WD40 on to the plug before you work it in and out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sorry no that's what I meant, the master socket isn't working at all. The plug on the front of the faceplate isn't connected to anything, and if I take the faceplate off and plug into the test socket on the right hand side, it's dead.

A normal non-master socket about 5ft away does work and is the one we've been using for the router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are there wires connected to the back of the Master socket? When the faceplate is off, are your other extensions dead?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

There appeared to be, I'm going to have a better look when I get home tonight. A wire definitely comes into the socket box from outside, and another wire goes into the bottom of it. Everything still works with the faceplate off, including the other phones and the ADSL.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

What logo is on the dead master socket?
      Did previous occupants have cable telephone or a second BT line?
      This might explain why it is dead.

Andy

Thanks

It's a BT socket, has their logo on it. I'm not too sure about the previous occupants as it's a rented house, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have cable as there are no NTL/Virgin sockets anywhere. Not sure about a second BT line though, would BT be able to tell me?

The only other maybe unusual thing I can think of is there is an alarm which might have a telephone line running to it, could the line have been redirected into there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast