Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Broadband - speed problems

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband - speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I am new to the forum but really need your help! I have looked at other threads but couldn't ...

Aunt Sally is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reeth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband - speed problems

Hi,
      I am new to the forum but really need your help! I have looked at other threads but couldn't find one to fit my problem!

My mum and dad have recently moved to a very rural area and have Sky broadband installed in their new home. As it is so rural and far from the exchange they can only get 54mbps on their broadband.

This hasn't been a problem for the past month, the internet was loading quickly with no problems and their e-mails downloading quickly. However, on saturday morning this changed, the internet took an age to load a page or just gave up and they got a blank white page with 'Done' on the bottom left. Also their e-mails stopped being delivered or sent, with the error message 'POP3 Waiting for Server, try again in 20 seconds'.
      Then on Saturday afternoon it started working again, but on Sunday morning onwards they have the same problems. They can get onto the internet i.e BBC home page but then can't go any further into that website. As they are so rural the internet and e-mail are their lifeline and whilst I am computer literate, I am way out of my depth with this!

I understand that the 'traffic' can slow the connection down but there hasn't been a problem for the past month, so can't understand why it would change overnight.

I should say that they have the SKy Router downstairs, with a Netgear RangeMax wireless router connected as the PC is upstairs through 2 stone walls. The wireless connection on their PC is 'good' and shows 54mbps and the USB wireless receiver is lit up showing its working. They also have Sky Tv which is connected through the same telephone point through a microfilter.

I am truly confused what is happening - does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/comments about what I can do. I can't do a speed test as I can't get on the website! Should I turn everything on and off again - or does it sound like its a problem with the equipment rather than Sky broadband.

Any thoughts very gratefully received

Many thanks in advance

AS

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband - speed problems

the 54Mbps you mention at the beginning is purely the wireless connection and nothing to do with actual connection speed...and have you tried using the ethernet cable to rule out a wireless issue?...

ignore speed tests, they aren't relevant in this situation...get the router stats (log into 192.168.0.1, enter 'admin' and 'sky' as the username and password, click the 'show statistics' button and copy/paste the contents) and post them up...

e.g.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5536 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45 db 12 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 23 db
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Many thanks for your advice, I'll call in and see them on my way home and post them on here.

Thanks again
      AS

Thanks

Hi again,

I have managed to get the information that was requested over the phone from my parents. They were able to get to the 'Show statistics' page but as they were reading the information over the phone to me the ADSL Link Downstream Upstream information disappeared off the screen and was replaced with the following:-

Port Status Txpkts Rxpkts Collision Txb/s Rx b/s Uptime
      WAN PP0A 23311 31429 0 0 0 68.37.18
      LAN - 34549 22868 0 0 0 63.38.11
      W/LAN - - - - - - 68.48.11

So, they refreshed the page and this time it stayed long enough on the screen to write it down. It was

ASDL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2112 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5db 29.5 db
      Noise Margin 9db 23 db

The information stayed this time and didn't switch to the information above but the page kept trying to reload.

Not sure if this information is of use to anyone, but many thanks for trying to help.

AS

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Stats look ok, at a guess I would say it is a wireless signal issue, next time it drops, get them to check the lights on the Sky router, is the ADSL light still green?

If it is then the router is not loosing signal to the exchange, just the PC.

I would advise fitting a couple of homeplugs, this will remove the need to piggyback the Rangemax router and work just like a wired connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As they are on Connect, that does not help things either. There is a good chance their connection is being throttled during peak periods, which with a low speed to start with does not help things.

Wireless, even with Rangemax, is never going to be very good in a house with thick walls. Make sure the wireless access point in the Sky router is turned off, as this could interfere with the other router. If it is a really rural setting with a house standing on its own, there are unlikely to be other networks interfering, but it may still be worthwhile experimenting with the router's Channel settings. Start at channel 13 and work down until the best reception is found. Remember signal strength, is not the most important requirement, signal quality is.

A Homeplug network will be much better, even if a wireless type is used at the receiver end, for laptop convenience.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Many thanks for the helpful advice - I'll go and take out the Range Max router to see if it is the wireless connection that is causing the problem.

Can I just have clarification on one thing - Isitme mentioned checking the different channels on the router, can someone tell me what I have to do to work my way through them to find the best channel.

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot! Thank you for the link to the homeplug network aswell.

AS

Thanks

Enter the router set up pages and look under Wireless Settings. If it is the usual Netgear setup it will be in a column on the left.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DaveMoughan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

Hi, my old netgear wg111t usb 2.0 adaptor displayed a speed of 108Mbps. However my new netgear WN111 is only showing a speed of 54Mbps. Any idea how I get it too to attain 108Mbps?

Thanks

I don't think it is designed to do so. The T version is a Super G designed to work with your Super G DG834GT router.108mbps is not a ratified speed and was implemented to fill in while Draft N was being developed, each manufacturer that used it, used different methods which were not compatible with one and other. Developement has now been dropped in favour of N class equipment.

It should be noted that this speed, 108mbps, or a percentage of it, is only useful for the internal LAN and does not effect the internet speed. 54 mbps is fast enough for most internet connections.

TomD

Useful Utilites