Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No local connection - No internet

This is a discussion on No local connection - No internet within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ok so I just reinstalled Windows XP home edition on my grandparents computer and had problems with the sky setup ...

chrissyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No local connection - No internet

ok so I just reinstalled Windows XP home edition on my grandparents computer and had problems with the sky setup straight away. Firstly I had to install SP1 to the machine which I did and then after turning off all firewalls and anti virus programmes I continued to run the Sky broadband setup CD. All lights on the router seem to be on correctly but in the final phase it does not make a connection, keep getting the message saying "you are not quite ready yet".

I have run all diagnostics, the machine does not find and Ip address and when I look in Network Connections under the control panel there is no new connection or local area connection, the only one there is for my ethernet adaptor that seems to be connected.

I have spent an hour or so on the phone to tech support who have run through the same things as me as well as manually inputting an ipaddress.

One guy made the suggestion that maybe my ethernet drivers were not up to date as I had reinstalled windows but I cant see a problem with the current drivers and it seems to be reaching the router fine.

Can anyone help? It would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: No local connection - No internet

If you are connecting via ethernet then all you will see in network connections is an icon for the network adaptor. Just because windows says something is working properly it doesn't necessarily mean it is. Do you have any red or yellow symbols in device manager for anything?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

How are you trying to connect? You should just click the IE icon, IE will open and you are on line. If you have used the Sky disk you may have a Sky icon which is not working.

In Network Connections, right click the icon and select Properties. Tick the box at the bottom for Show on Desktop. The other is usually ticked be default. When the icon appears in your tray, if it has a red mark it is not connected, right click it and select 'Repair' If there is no red mark you are connected.

If you are still unable to connect to the internet, reset the router by pushing a biro point into the reset hole on the rear. Hold it there until the lights flash.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

chrissyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

I have no crosses or explantion marks against anything in my device manager. I have also tried to run it through the ie programme but no luck. I have also reset the router by pushing a pen into the back, no joy. Next im going to try installing the lot on my laptop to see if it works. If it works then im guessing its the ethernet card, if it does not then there must be a problem with one of the parts sky sent through. How easy is it to get an engineer out these days?

By the way thanks for the help so far.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Probably too late but you don't need to install anything. Just plug in the ethernet cable, give it a minute to connect, click the EI icon and you should be on line.

Please tell us if you were trying to connect using wireless?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.