Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem with Sky Broadband after bad weather

This is a discussion on Problem with Sky Broadband after bad weather within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This has happened a few times now, at first i thought i was being throttled but ive discovered that it ...

Moldiver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Problem with Sky Broadband after bad weather

This has happened a few times now, at first i thought i was being throttled but ive discovered that it only happens when there is bad weather. Basically after a night of bad wather i go from 1 meg all the way down down do something around 100kbs to around 131kbs whereas when it's running normal i at anthing above 900kbs to 1000kbs.

The last 2 times i have phoned sky they have given me all the crap about check this, check that. Last time the woman was trying to tell me i had spyware running on my pc, even after i explained to her i know what i am doing, eventually she got fed up and transferred me to the tech department after about 45 mins on the phone. When i got transferred to the tech deparetment my problem was solved within 5 minutes and my net was working fine 2 days later.

Anyone know what could be causing this (apart from the weather) because i am going to have to phone Sky tommorw and i can't be bothered sitting through 45 minutes of some person trying to explain stuff to me step by step that only takes me 5 minutes to do.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Problem with Sky Broadband after bad weather

What you need to do is get your router stats from the normal position and also from the test socket if you have one.

Next time the net drops to a crawl get the stats again, they should indicate if you have noise on the line. once this is determined to be caused by an outside source and not your setup you can then look at reporting it as a fault.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apprantly my speed threshold had been lowered to the wrong level and will be fixed in a matter of days.

Thanks

If that were the case, why does it only do it during bad weather?

Exchange:
      Thanks

BT engineer came to the house today and installed a new box on the master socket and that was supposed to fix it, ive came home from work done a speed test and i am getting less that 100kbs and max 132kbs ping from 96 to 171. So basically got to wait on sky phoning me back in a couple of days, hopfully when they phone back its fixed like it was last time.

No idea why it drops when bad weather, but when it does drop it never comes back untill sky fix it. I explained that it was fixed pretty easy last time so hopfully its done as quick cause this speed is doing my head in.
      Forgot to add the downstream on my router has went to 2112 since the nex box has been installed but still getting slow speeds..

Thanks

Post your router stats from the new test socket.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Finally got the net working again and my speed has went from 512kbs to 2112kbs, but i am not getting that atm. I did when i came home from work yesterday but atm i am only getting just over 1 meg, will my speed change during peak times in the downstream and upstream of my router stats?

System Up Time 00:18:40
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 20774 19106 0 7664 14539 00:18:14
      LAN 10M/100M 20838 22658 0 15014 8197 00:18:38
      WLAN 11M/54M 2707 1121 0 567 217 00:18:30

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2016 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57.0 db 26.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.0 db 17.0 db

I also tried it downstairs in the master socket and it connected but the net connection only lasted for about 10 seconds then dropped and only the local connection was available, any ideas?

razz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

My parent's phone line used to crackle during bad weather. So we traced the wire back as far as practical to the pitch of the roof. Something had eaten through the cable.

Being country bumpkins we cut the wire, got the soldering iron out, and put a new length in and sealed it with amalgamating heat shrink. No more crackles. BT would have charged God know's what to sort that out, ...replacing a 50-ft line to the pole, ...with wildlife eating through cables. Who'd have ever heard of such a thing. (don't do that..)

Listen to your phone line... Forget the broadband for the moment. Just listen to the background noise of your voice line. It gives away alot.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
      My parent's phone line used to crackle during bad weather. So we traced the wire back as far as practical to the pitch of the roof. Something had eaten through the cable.

Being country bumpkins we cut the wire, got the soldering iron out, and put a new length in and sealed it with amalgamating heat shrink. No more crackles. BT would have charged God know's what to sort that out, ...replacing a 50-ft line to the pole, ...with wildlife eating through cables. Who'd have ever heard of such a thing. (don't do that..)

Listen to your phone line... Forget the broadband for the moment. Just listen to the background noise of your voice line. It gives away alot.
      I would have replaced the line for free, but I know what you mean. I replaced an overhead at a farm for other than technical reasons and my fee was a turkey, and very nice it was too