Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow connection

This is a discussion on Slow connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, first post so be gentle We recently consolidated our telephone and broadband service across to Sky as it ...

Monkeyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester East
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow connection

Hi there, first post so be gentle

We recently consolidated our telephone and broadband service across to Sky as it seemed like a great way to save money. However since being activated last Thursday our broadband connection has been very very slow.

We live a fair way (3.5km) from the exchange and have no unrealistic expectations of a high speed connection, however our previous provider (Tiscali) gave us a stable sync of 1100kbps for well over a year.

I'll post the current connection statistics below and as you can see it's nowhere near, the fastest it's been was 440kbps and after a call to Sky support I was told to await DLM completion. It's been just about a week now and today the connection dropped out all day, only coming back up just before I came home from work. I re-called Sky support and...well not very helpful this time. Was told that DLM only started last night and I had to wait another 10 days. Nothing they can do, he wasn't even interested in the connection being down all day.

I have no test socket to connect into but the modem is connected via the master socket and through a microfilter (I've tried several different filters.)

Is there any hope we'll get sync speeds above 512kbps and is it worth me calling sky after 10:30pm tonight and asking DLM to be switched off?

Sorry for the long post!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 352 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 67.0 db 39.7 db
      Noise Margin 8.1 db 12.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Slow connection

You may but you will have to wait for the initial DLM phase to finish, it may even get the speed up without you requiring to call Sky, that's how it's supposed to work anyway.

You do have a long line and with those stats you will be lucky to get over 1mb.

You could try a few things to help yourself though.

1st, have you removed any unused extensions from the master socket?
      2nd, remove any wires that are in terminal 3, they are not needed and can cause noise on the line
      3rd, Buy an NTE5 Socket, a filtered faceplate and fit the router here, this will give you a best case senario in terms of line quality etc

If you do this before the end of you 10 day DLM, you may be able to push the speed up a little.

Ant_2210 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kenton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

you could also try a I-Plate,

BT Shop - BT I-Plate (048280)

Thanks

An I plate basically does the same as removing the ring wire, it will not filter the ADSL out at this point.

A filtered faceplate is MUCH better and around the same price.

Stick to filtered faceplates they are much. much better for sorting out internal line problems.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies.

I guess I'll have to wait for DLM to finish and then I'll try the suggestions, I suppose dropping the connection while I mess about would be seen as line issues by DLM if it's still running it's initial phase.

I think right now I'd be happy with 512Kb+ really. Before moving up to Manchester I had a nice fast cable connection (at least while it was still Blueyonder anyway) and then a 1mb connection up here from Tiscali was a bump down to earth but manageable. Now it's all feeling a little 1995 again rather than 2009

Sorry I've yet another question: When I called last week DLM had started the day we were connected, yet when I called tonight DLM had started only last night with the 10 days basically starting now. The router was on 24/7 until this evening when I rebooted it after 12 hours of dropped connection. Is there any way to know when DLM has completed beyond guesswork?
      Last edited by Monkeyp; 04-03-09 at 07:47 PM. Reason: couldn't spell "the"!

Thanks

In a word no.

DLM never finishes, it is always monitoring the line but it sets it's initial speeds within the first 2-3 weeks although this time is not set in stone it could take longer or shorter.

You should really get you line and sockets sorted now, before DLM runs, this will give you the best chance of hitting the top speeds for your line, DLM will not see the odd router downtime as a problem, only if they are in quick succession.

Thanks

Thanks again. I'll look at installing an NTE5 socket and filtered faceplate and see if it helps.

Looking at the master socket again it's got the very old BT logo on it, I don't think I've seen that since I was 10 (I'm 31 now) which implies it could do with replacement anyway.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You will not be able to fit a Filtered faceplate with an old line box. You will have to fit a NTE5 line box before you can fit something like the XTE-2005 Filtered Master Faceplate - ADSL Nation

This is supposed to be done by BTO, who will want to charge you. If you have the confidence you can DIY.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.