Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Recurring problem of slow speeds.

This is a discussion on Recurring problem of slow speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes to both questions. I have also tried, restarting and rebooting my router. I have also tried removing my extension. ...

saka-rauka1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Recurring problem of slow speeds.

Yes to both questions. I have also tried, restarting and rebooting my router. I have also tried removing my extension. I have tried removing either the network card from my wireless and the ethernet cable from my wired pc. I have run virus scans on both. The speed has gone down and the noise margin has gone done regardless of what I did. Only when I called sky did it go up, and then it was only for a few minutes.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is beginning to look like you have an intermittent fault in your external line. Can you do a quiet line check on your external line by plugging a corded phone directly into your Test socket. Dial 17070, accept option 2 and listen. You line should be clear with no snap, crackles, pops or other noises.

This is not an official test but you might want to try it. With your router plugged in and the stats taken, dial one digit, then reboot your router and immediately check your stats.

If you have been connected for over a year, DLM will not be on your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Called sky again. They ran troubleshooting at the exchange or something and the noise margin went up from 6.1 to 26.3. I tried to communicate this to them but they insisted I remove the extension and plug the microfilter which admittedly I should have done although at the time I couldn't see the point because I would remove it straight after the call ended and that I had a perfect connection for a year without it. Anyway I did that knowing that the phone line would have to reconnected and I would lose the call. I then went back to my pc and saw these stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2944 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 11.4 db 13.0 db

So its not 4.4meg, but right now I'm just glad that it isn't 160k.

Thanks

You are capped at 2944 and still have a bit of noise in hand. Try ringing again, you should get another 1+Mb

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 864 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 3.6 db 14.0 db

Thanks

Are you using the extension?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, but I was using it for a whole day with no drop in speed. And a whole year before that. I also tried removing it and checking the stats. I have messed around with the wiring enough. I am convinced the problem is not at my end. Especially since during the last call she said that she would check the exchange for problems and immediately after the noise margin vastly improved.

But if there is something you think is wrong on my end let me know. I'll just make sure.

Thanks

Telephone extensions are subject to interference, sometimes it is constant and sometimes intermittent. All I can suggest is you read post #14 again and adopt one of the suggestions. If you do that and still have problems, then it is possibly an exchange fault, but at least you have done everything possible at your end. It would then be up to Sky. While you are using an extension, you cannot be certain the fault is not at your end.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just found out that I'm being charged more than I ought to. I'm on the mid package and have their phone package also and should be paying 5 a month. I got charged 7 last month and 10 the month before that.

That's it, I'm canceling their service. They can also expect a lot more than just that: I'm not about to get charged double for 160k broadband coupled with the worst customer support available.

Thanks

If you have Sky Talk you will be getting a 5 discount. This shown as a credit against your charge for TV, not the broadband charge.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast