Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Yet more on speed problems

This is a discussion on Yet more on speed problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, congrats on the great forum. I got connected to MAX on friday. I was told to expect about ...

danbak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yet more on speed problems

Hi folks, congrats on the great forum.

I got connected to MAX on friday. I was told to expect about 15meg when I ordered. Since I have been connected I have averaged 1.8meg, only once have I recorded alot more than that, around 8meg.

I have spoken to support who say there is a period of stabilisation and the speed will go up, several threads on here say that the LLU MAX should be full speed straight away, does anyone know?

On the master socket I have an ADSL faceplate that filters but also gives you two aditional wires to take adsl around the house see http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product....cat=262&page=1. So I filter at the NTE-5 and then 3 wires carry the normal phone, 2 carry the adsl, the socket point by the router has a rj11 instead of a bt.

I have tested connection and speed etc where the router normally is and with the router plugged into the master socket.

Router in usual spot
      Down: 15323 con speed 25.5 atten 8.5 noiseM
      UP: 766 con speed 13.8 atten 11.8 noiseM

Router at Master socket with faceplate
      Down: 15144 con speed 26 atten 7.4 noiseM
      UP: 766 con speed 13.7 atten 13.0 noiseM

Router at Master socket no faceplate, using sky's filter
      Down: 15323 con speed 24.5 atten 12.1 noiseM
      UP: 766 con speed 13.3 atten 11.8 noiseM

I have read the article http://www.farina1.com/bookmark/0000...7/00020260.HTM and think those figures should be fairly ok for a speed of 15meg, the adsl2+ graph puts 15meg at about 2km from the exchange and that is about how far away I am.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post, all thoughts gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Usually your speed is OK from the start. It might be worth selecting 108MB option in your router even if you don't use 108 MB adaptors

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site danbak

Once your connected the speed should in theory be at its highest from the off but it would seem BT are not averse to limiting the speed and sending it to SkyBB as is raed this for more info With Reference to Capping when you are connected
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

jonboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

speeds

Hi
      Don't know a lot about this sort of thing is this any good on max and this is what i get been on sky for 2 weeks

connection 5152kbps 768
      line 55. and 31.5
      noise 9.4 and 12.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      looks ok - are you having problems then?

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have used wireless adapters but most of my stuff is ethernet wired to the router.

The machine I was doing most testing on was win98, I keep that for messing up on. I have now tried the same machine with xp pro and the rate has gone up to 3.5meg, another machine running 2k sp4 is about the same at 3.5 meg. However when I download the 25meg file from ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/edunfs/mirror...SO-IMAGES/6.1/ I get it in around 17seconds which suggests a rate of about 11meg.

So maybe I am getting what I'm supposed to. What speeds are others getting? Please say.

I suspect that the tcp/ip stack in win98 is limited to 1.5meg.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I just got it at 1.54MB/s

@jonboy

Looking at your stats thats not bad at all since you seem to be a on a long line.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Andy_G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      @danbak
      1.43MB/s average for me
      About 16 seconds I think.

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The speed I get varies wildly depending on where I go on the web, is this the same for everyone? I can understand that perhaps most sites couldn't cope with lots of 15meg connections and run slower.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You will not find any websites that will and most will load at the same speed regardless of your connection speed (unless your on a dial-up account of course) be it 2MB to 16MB the only real advantage in having high speed is the ability to download files etc a lot faster.
      Ray

click here