Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check before you choose your speed

This is a discussion on Check before you choose your speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not very busy in office today and checked on the BT site what speed they think my address can handle ...

Mr Angry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Putney, London
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Check before you choose your speed

Not very busy in office today and checked on the BT site what speed they think my address can handle - came in at 6.5mb. Since I ordered 8mb (mid) from sky that doesn't sound too bad - or at least when they actually send me a router that works it wont be !

Checked for a colleague who ordered 16mb and according to BT his line can only handle 6mb - although he was assured by sky when he ordered that he could have 16mb. He's been waiting six weeks for his first router so I think he'd be happy with anything right now.

As an interesting aside - if you check BT for what you can get if you lived in one of their exchanges (I input the postcode of my local exchange) it only comes in at 6.5mb. Mind you to be fair it does say it's dependent on the quality of your internal wiring - make your own mind up as to the quality of the wiring inside a BT exchange and/or their speedcheck website !!!!!

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      On my check, it said I lived 3.3km and I should be able to get 2.5 to 3.5mb.

Now with my shiny new faceplate I can get 7mb

Whoo hoooo!

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Which faceplate is that - a nation one? I've got a BT faceplate i'm wondering if something else would be better

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep it was a nation one

I can tell you when he put it on he was very HAPPY indeed

If thats one of the old BT plates then you really should change it.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      I used a nation one and it almost trebled my sync speed on PlusNet (my sync rate went from around 2Mb to over 5Mb and my stable rate for MaxDSL went from 1.5Mb to 5Mb!!!!) and my internal wiring is only 6 years old as the house was a new build.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep I swear by faceplate's but then I hate them dingily dangily filters I was always crushing them with my powerchair.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Cockney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley, Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Wheelie,

Dumb question but what is a faceplate that i see spoken about often on here ?

Sorry for my ongoing dumbness but i blame my parents

Steve
      Last edited by Wheelie; 25-09-06 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi Cockney

try this thread

Try your master socket for better results

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
      Not very busy in office today and checked on the BT site what speed they think my address can handle - came in at 6.5mb. Since I ordered 8mb (mid) from sky that doesn't sound too bad - or at least when they actually send me a router that works it wont be !

Checked for a colleague who ordered 16mb and according to BT his line can only handle 6mb - although he was assured by sky when he ordered that he could have 16mb. He's been waiting six weeks for his first router so I think he'd be happy with anything right now.

As an interesting aside - if you check BT for what you can get if you lived in one of their exchanges (I input the postcode of my local exchange) it only comes in at 6.5mb. Mind you to be fair it does say it's dependent on the quality of your internal wiring - make your own mind up as to the quality of the wiring inside a BT exchange and/or their speedcheck website !!!!!

Evening all, first post so hello everyone.

Forgive my possible naivety but when you do a speed test on the BT site, isn't the potential speed based on utilising the existing BT system (phone socket - exchange - pipe) for a standard broadband connection which at present is only capable of a maximum speed of upto 8mb/s?

Whereas SKY as an LLU supplier have unbundled their equipment within the exchange (so the route is phone socket - sky equipment - pipe) thereby enabling speeds greater than 8mb/s which in turn renders the speed test worthless as it doesn't reflect the potential speed based on utilising the SKY system?

Great site BTW

Cockney is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Morley, Leeds
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Thanks NewsreadeR, I have one of those, it was fitted by a BT engineer last year when i was having line issues whilst with Tiscali !

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast