Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Packet loss - Killing my gaming+speed

This is a discussion on Packet loss - Killing my gaming+speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, So for quite a long time now i've had this ongoing problem that my internet connection is dropping packets. ...

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Packet loss - Killing my gaming+speed

Hi,
      So for quite a long time now i've had this ongoing problem that my internet connection is dropping packets. According to team fortress 2 and left 4 dead i drop between 20-30% of all packets. This only happens later on in the day, after maybe 4-6pm depending on chance.
      My line stats are fine. less than 0.1% errors.

What can i do? How do i troubleshoot packet loss (if i were to assume this was not sky's fault)

My exchange is very busy. has been in the 'red' zone for virtual paths for a long time. (EMSOUTH)

Thanks for any help

to save time:
      yes i am using ethernet
      the problem has persisted over two entirely different machines
      i have tried a different cable
      i have tried a different filter, in master socket
      i have done all of skys troubleshooting
      Last edited by Devil_Spawn; 25-02-09 at 09:42 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Packet loss - Killing my gaming+speed

I know in another thread I said throttling would not cause packet loss and I still don't think it will. However exchange contention will cause it and being on that wonderful Connect package() you are probably suffering with that. This is even more likely if your exchange is very busy and and even flagged red.

Noise can also cause packet loss, but your line errors seem to be OK, however you might want try increasing your default noise margin just to see if it makes any difference.

It may also be worthwhile experimenting with OpenDNS servers, if you are not already using them.

If your error rate is good and you are using Open servers, then there is not much you can do apart from moving to another ISP. Unless you can get with an LLUd one, then whichever one you choose is still likely to suffer, if exchange contention is the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Devil_Spawn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Packet loss - Killing my gaming+speed

there are no llu providers in my area.
      i'm using opendns

if its contention would changing isp even make a difference?

i would believe you that it is contention however the packet loss goes from a state of a perfectly line instantaneously to a line with 20% loss, and then back again. also if i connect to a server early on in the day and then leave the connection active i can go the whole night without any loss

i am on the v2 router so cannot configure snr