Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT BB Option 3 to Sky Mid sync issue

This is a discussion on BT BB Option 3 to Sky Mid sync issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; BT BB Option 3 to Sky Mid sync issue -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've recently migrated from BT BB Option 3 to Sky ...

Trevgodfrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've recently migrated from BT BB Option 3 to Sky Mid. Being in Milton Keynes I suffer from the dreaded cheap aluminium telephone cabling that was installed in the 70's and I'm also a long way from the the exchange, 5.5km approx. I'm not expecting miracles and Sky have attempted to improve my sync speed from below 1000kbps to 1536 kbps which is what I was achieving with BT on ADSL Max.

Anyway, they managed to up the sync speed to 1536 kbps (after the 10 days of DLM) and it worked fine with consistent throughput anytime of day. Then one day my SNR dropped to 0 but the sync led stayed green but I couldn't get anything to come up on the browser (IE7). I rebooted the router and it resynced to 1380 kbps with 6 SNR. Previously it has recovered on it's own.

Tonight I attempted to reboot the router and got the following stats. BTW I've tried it in the test socket and get the same behaviour. Also my attenuation has varied between 53db and 57db. It was consistently 61db when I was with BT!

NetGear DG934 [Sky Firmware] V2-Black

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1056 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 20 db

I suspect I have an intermittent noise event but there is probably nothing much I can do about it but it only seems to happen 2 or 3 times a week. I assume that I am not on ADSL2+ because of the length of my line. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same symptoms.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: BT BB Option 3 to Sky Mid sync issue

You could try the test socket, which is behind the master socket faceplate and see if it helps.
      Connected at 17Mbps on sky unlimited

Test Socket - TCPOptimiser - Kana Form

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

You say you have tried the Test socket and get the same result, but was the noise margin much the same. If this rose by much it could indicate a problem in your internal wiring. Take your stats from there and check.

Normally with your attenuation, you could expect 3-5Mb. The cheap ally line may be pulling this down.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Trevgodfrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bradwell Abbey
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Well the latest is that I called support and they said that they were still investigating. As from Friday I am now syncing at 2112 with download attenuation at 58 and SNR 5 to 6 Db. Occasionally I'm seeing 3 but it hasn't gone below that. So far it seems stable with the following speedtest results. Don't know if it was a coincidence but I kept seeing BT Openreach vans in the area all week.