Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow,slow,slow

This is a discussion on Slow,slow,slow within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Newbie here. I've noticed over the past few weeks that my broadband has been getting slower & slower,particularly when ...

Blootered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01691
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow,slow,slow

Hi,
      Newbie here.
      I've noticed over the past few weeks that my broadband has been getting slower & slower,particularly when watching streamed video.
      Found your forum today & did a few speed tests. I have Sky Connect & have been on it for a few months with no problem. The local exchange is not enabled & I live a couple of miles away.
      I didn't expect to get over 2 mb but was staggered to see my test come out at 700kbs max ranging down to 300. Upload speed is aboout 340kbs.
      I phoned Sky tonight,hoping that it would be a simple matter to fix,but they seemed to think the problemlies with BT & have left me waiting for BT to do some checks at the exchange & will phone me back 'in a couple of days'.
      I'm no expert,but does this sound likely?
      Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slow,slow,slow

It could be a bt line problem , as connect is a rebranded BTproduct. Much rather i think connected to this
      Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

,but they seemed to think the problemlies with BT & have left me waiting for BT to do some checks at the exchange & will phone me back 'in a couple of days'.
      Quite likely as BT supply the product.

Don't wait for a call back, Sky tickets only seem to last for 3 days then they are marked 'resolved' whether they are or not. Call back within 3 days of you original call to find out what is going on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies folks.
      Sky phoned today & said that BT have reconfigured the line. I am to leave the router switched on for the next 24 hours to allow it to find the optimum speed for my connection. Fair enough I thought.
      Then he told me that with the reconfiguration I 'should' be able to recieve 512kbs. I pointed out to him that at the worst times I have been down to 300, albeit briefly. For the past couple of days I seem quite stable at 1300 kbs.
      The guy sounded quite flustered when I told him this & told me I lived too far away from the exchange (2 miles).
      I'm confused,I thought I would be talking to people who know their stuff,but this guy seemed quite incompetent.
      Will wait & see,at least the ticket is still open.

Thanks

Hi guys,
      Still running slowly here i'm afraid. Unable to watch streamed video,which is just about all I want to do. Just done another speed test which told me my Download speed = 936 & Upload = 362.
      Also got my router stats,which are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1152 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 15 db 17 db

Any clever folk out there who can interpret these for me?
      Many thanks in advance.

-Paul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Parkstone
      Broadband ISP: Freesat
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Humax HDR + 42"
      Thanks

Get a proper BT line test - ask $ky to get Openreach to do this + Try rebooting the Router - check for old Extension wiring in your house, if it's there - disconnect it - get a frontplate 2000 for the front of your master NTE5A BT Openreach socket (if you have one) I too live over 2miles from the Exchange on a good day I get 2Mbps bad days it's down to 1700 - good luck
      Paul

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have quite a high noise margin, so try powercycling you router by turning it off for a couples of minutes, then turn it on again. See if you can get a higher sync. If you do, your speed will not increase immediately, it could take 2 or 3 days for your Profile to adjust..

Before you do that, Go to BT Performance Tester enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the LAN MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the router by using one of the utilities available on the forum.

After you have powercycled, try it again and see what the results are.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.