Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New to Sky BB. Quick set-up question.

This is a discussion on New to Sky BB. Quick set-up question. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My Sky BB is being activated on Friday and I've already received my Sagem router. The guide with the router ...

Dunk1L is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hathern
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question New to Sky BB. Quick set-up question.

My Sky BB is being activated on Friday and I've already received my Sagem router. The guide with the router states I have to connect it to the PC via ethernet cable to do the set up. (My phone line is downstairs, the PC is upstairs). I assumed I could just plug the router in and then connect wirelessly from upstairs. Is this the case? I've downloaded the wireless set-up PDF file from this forum. Am I on the right track, can I just plug the router in downstairs, then run the install CD from upstairs and connect wirelessly straight away?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: New to Sky BB. Quick set-up question.

No, setup must be done via the ethernet cable. That said, it should just work out of the box, plug it in, find the network, connect and pit in the network key.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Don't run any 'install CD' it is not required and will just put rubbish you don't need on your PC. You can set the PC up to connect to the router next to your PC. There is no need to plug the router into the phone line to set it up.

You can try connecting with wireless right away, all the details you need initially are on a label on the router. This is the SSID and security key. When you input these to your wireless manager you should be able to connect to the router by opening a browser window and typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar, then putting in admin and sky when asked for the username and password.

If you are able to connect, good, just unplug the router and plug it in again downstairs, provided your wireless signal is OK, your PC will connect to it and you will be connected to the internet.

If you are unable to connect, plug in the ethernet cable, go into the wireless settings and disable the security. Then try to connect wirelessly. If you are then able to connect it means you are not inputting the security key correctly. Check you are using all capital letters, no numbers. It is case sensitive.

If you have had a look around the forum you will see that wireless can be a pig to get working and even when it does it is usually much slower than ethernet. If you are a gamer you would be well advised to invest in a Homeplug network, it could save you many tears and lost hair.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      No, setup must be done via the ethernet cable. That said, it should just work out of the box, plug it in, find the network, connect and pit in the network key.
      So I can take the router up to my PC, just plug in the power and erthernet cable to the PC without having the phone line plugged in, do the set-up then take the router downstairs and connect wirelessly? I don't have phone lines upstairs, so if it does need connecting to phoneline as well, I'll have to bring the PC downstairs.

Thanks

As adivsed, you don't need the phone plugged in to get it setup. If needed, set it up upstairs and then take it down and plug it into the phoneline.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      As adivsed, you don't need the phone plugged in to get it setup. If needed, set it up upstairs and then take it down and plug it into the phoneline.
      Okay, one final question. I have downloaded the set-up guide (PDF) from this forum. Is this all I need to set up the router with my PC?

Thanks

By rights it should just work once you have found the right wireless network and put in your network key.

Until you try it it's not worth worrying about.