Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Router Positioning Advice..

This is a discussion on Sky Router Positioning Advice.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just want some advice on positioning the router in the house. Soon i'll have Sky wifi router as apart of ...

Atomic_guy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky+HD
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Router Positioning Advice..

Just want some advice on positioning the router in the house.
      Soon i'll have Sky wifi router as apart of my BB.
      This is so that I can plan to put the master socket somewhere when
      the BT guy come to install the line.

I have a Desktop PC in the attic and use that as a small office.

I am planing to get a Wifi Laptop for downstairs so the kids
      can use it instead of disturbing me to use my desktop for their
      internetting.

Now I dont know weather to position the wifi router in the middle floor or
      will it be okay to position the router downstairs (on the ground floor) and will the
      signal strength be strong for the desktop to work well? I mean the attic is fairly
      high up.

Has anyone have experience of this?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router Positioning Advice..

Forget wireless, use homeplugs, then you can put the master socket anywhere you like. If you then want to use wireless for the laptop you could just buy a homeplug with a wireless extender built in and move it around if needed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Forget wireless, use homeplugs, then you can put the master socket anywhere you like. If you then want to use wireless for the laptop you could just buy a homeplug with a wireless extender built in and move it around if needed.
      Forgive my ignoreance...but What is homeplug?

Thanks

A homeplug looks a little like a power adaptor but you connect a network lead to it, it then trasfers all your data around the house using the existing mains wiring, it works a bit like running ethernet cables.

You can just move them from socket to socket as needed so if you take your PC from the attic one day and put it downstairs you can just move the homeplug to that room and it's all back up and running again. You could even put one in the shed or garden if you wanted to.

You can get a couple of Solwise 85Mb Turbos from e-bay for around 40. You need one for the router and then one for everything else you want to connect, PC's, games consoles, laptops etc.

If you get the master socket put in the room with your PC and fit the router there also you wont need one for that PC as it will be next to the router and can be connected directly so you will only need one for the laptop downstairs so a pair will do.

2 X NEW SOLWISE PL-85PE HOMEPLUG NETWORK ADAPTERS on eBay, also, Other Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 15-Mar-09 09:43:28 GMT)

Or the wireless extender version if you really want to use the laptop with wireless.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNIB-SOLWISE-H...1%7C240%3A1318

Exchange:
      Thanks

A homeplug looks a little like a power adaptor but you connect a network lead to it, it then trasfers all your data around the house using the existing mains wiring, it works a bit like running ethernet cables.

You can just move them from socket to socket as needed so if you take your PC from the attic one day and put it downstairs you can just move the homeplug to that room and it's all back up and running again. You could even put one in the shed or garden if you wanted to.

You can get a couple of Solwise 85Mb Turbos from e-bay for around 40. You need one for the router and then one for everything else you want to connect, PC's, games consoles, laptops etc.

If you get the master socket put in the room with your PC and fit the router there also you wont need one for that PC as it will be next to the router and can be connected directly so you will only need one for the laptop downstairs so a pair will do.

2 X NEW SOLWISE PL-85PE HOMEPLUG NETWORK ADAPTERS on eBay, also, Other Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 15-Mar-09 09:43:28 GMT)

Or the wireless extender version if you really want to use the laptop with wireless.

BNIB SOLWISE HOMEPLUG WIRELESS ADAPTER PL-85PEW TURBO on eBay, also Wireless Routers Access Points, Wireless Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 24-Feb-09 19:30:00 GMT)
      It makes better sense now how it works. But is this effective? I mean wont it add
      noise to the line? After all its going over the internal electrical cable lines and the
      signal from router end to the other end may be severely attenuated?

Also I take it that the phone line connects to the master socket? I have the phone
      downstairs in the living room. So for me to put the master socket in the attic
      by the deskctop PC require more cabling? Or will the Openreach guys will
      give me extension to the living room from the master socket?

Thanks

Sorry, I got the impression you were having a line installed.

Keep the master where it is, connect the router to it and then use a homeplug to connect to a socket, then connect everything else with homeplugs and you have a wired network.

The wont add any noise to the network and you can even get ones that will run upto 200mbps. It really is just like having an ethernet connected to every PC with all the beniefits of wires and none of the downsides of wireless.

In this situation you will need three homeplugs, one for the router, one for the PC and one for the laptop, you could combine the homeplugs and the routers wireless if you wanted to keep the laptop mobile and would only need two homeplugs for this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry, I got the impression you were having a line installed.

Keep the master where it is, connect the router to it and then use a homeplug to connect to a socket, then connect everything else with homeplugs and you have a wired network.

The wont add any noise to the network and you can even get ones that will run upto 200mbps. It really is just like having an ethernet connected to every PC with all the beniefits of wires and none of the downsides of wireless.

In this situation you will need three homeplugs, one for the router, one for the PC and one for the laptop, you could combine the homeplugs and the routers wireless if you wanted to keep the laptop mobile and would only need two homeplugs for this.
      Thanks Smithy99 for the help. I am having the line installed. Sorry if I caused
      any confusion. I was talking about the current phone socket which is with Virgin.
      I am soon going over Sky line. So they will send BT Openreach to come and
      install the line.

If I go with your method to go by Homeplugs then I suppose I can install the
      master socket in the living room where the phone is currently connected to virgin socket.

So I see 2 possible solution...

If the master socket fitted in the attic then I sitll have to get the phone extension to
      the living room for the phone to work.

If the master socket is fitted in the living room next to the existing virgin socket,
      I'll need the homeplugs to get the internet up in the attic.

That means I'll have to spend 40 odd quids more to get the internet up into
      the attic to my desktop pc. I suppose it dont look too bad considering the router
      can only go in one place in the house, either in the attic or in the living room.

One question....

To get Home plug with 200Mb transfer? what good is in that if the router will only
      handle 8Mb?

So what do you think about my plans? Install the master socket to the living room
      and take the broadband with homeplugs to the attic?

mjdominey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_guy View Post
      One question....

1. To get Home plug with 200Mb transfer? what good is in that if the router will only
      handle 8Mb?

2. So what do you think about my plans? Install the master socket to the living room
      and take the broadband with homeplugs to the attic?
      1. Good question, not a lot of good unless you intend to transfer large files between the laptop and the PC, or stream HD media between them. The 85mb versions will be more than fine for the internet, and will handle all of you network file copying (if you do any) as well. Most peoples standard network is only 100mb

2. That is exactly what I would do, best option by far.

Thanks

I agree, fit the master socket in the livingroom. You will need an extra homeplug so it will only cost an extra 20 for this which is cheaper than getting BT to run in an extension.

Just to clarify, this setup requires:-

1 x Homeplug at the router
      1 x Homeplug at the PC in the attic
      Optional 1 x Homeplug for the laptop (you can just move it around if you want to)

Or you could just keep the laptop connected via the wireless and then no need for this Homeplug.

Minimum cost 45.00 + p&p e-bay for a pair
      Max about 70+p&p for three

Exchange:
      Thanks

I agree, fit the master socket in the livingroom. You will need an extra homeplug so it will only cost an extra 20 for this which is cheaper than getting BT to run in an extension.

Just to clarify, this setup requires:-

1 x Homeplug at the router
      1 x Homeplug at the PC in the attic
      Optional 1 x Homeplug for the laptop (you can just move it around if you want to)

Or you could just keep the laptop connected via the wireless and then no need for this Homeplug.

Minimum cost 45.00 + p&p e-bay for a pair
      Max about 70+p&p for three
      Thanks Smithy99 for helpful advice. I'm now looking to get Solwise 200Mbps
      HomePlug AV Ethernet Adaptor with Simple Connect & Mains Through.

2 for about 50, let me know if you know any place sell for that much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast