Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Dlm?

This is a discussion on Dlm? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, A quick update on this one, the line speed has dropped more and stayed at the current speed ...

Shadowhunta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01420
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Dlm?

Hi all,
      A quick update on this one, the line speed has dropped more and stayed at the current speed below for a couple of weeks now, it can be very very slow some nights while browsing and i'm kind of annoyed as before this dlm business we were doing just fine on 12meg!! Has DLM left my line crippled??
      I removed the ring wire from both the extension socket and the master socket, but seeing as we are renting my parents won't allow me to put a filtered socket on the wall...so my next questions are:
      1)Can i phone sky and get them to put the speed back up??
      2)whats the best filter i can buy without using a filtered faceplate?
      3)how will a higher speed affect my gaming? i game online alot and just wondered if my pings would be better now than at 12meg??
      4)The extension upstairs does'nt have a phone or anything else plugged into it, i am assuming i do not need to plug in a filter unless i actually use it for something?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me!!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9213 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26 db 6.5 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 16 db

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhunta View Post
      1)Can i phone sky and get them to put the speed back up??
      Yes, you are capped at the moment you should get 16Mb with those stats.

2)whats the best filter i can buy without using a filtered faceplate?
      I use the standard one that Sky sent out, it works fine.

3)how will a higher speed affect my gaming? i game online alot and just wondered if my pings would be better now than at 12meg??
      Speed won't affect pings, having a slower more stable line will give better results than a line runnig at full tilt amd struggling. Sky's normal Noise Margin of 6.9db should be fine to keep your line stable

4)The extension upstairs does'nt have a phone or anything else plugged into it, i am assuming i do not need to plug in a filter unless i actually use it for something?
      Only filter if/when used.

Thanks

Thank you for your fast response Smithy, now can someone tell me the best number to call tonight so i can get the speed upped? do i need to ask to speak to a certain person or do i just say my lines been capped and i want it upped?
      Please help as even though i'm very technically minded, i have no idea what to say to sky on the phone when i want my line speed upping.
      Many thanks again!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Tell them your line had been capped due to a fault in your wiring, which you have now fixed. Ask them to remove the cap from the line. If they say your line is getting its maximum, ask if you can be passed to CST as you know that is not so. Be polite and if one will not pass you, hang up and call back to get a different agent.

As Smithy says, your gaming will not be effected by pure speed, but if you have not already done so, ask for your delay to be reduced to improve your ping. You might even be able to get this done at the same time as you are through to CST.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Okay, sorry to be a pain, whats the best number to get through to them on?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

08442 410 515

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Okay i'm at my wits end now..after phoning sky,being on the phone for nearly an hours, i get put through to CST who then put my speed up, and keep my max delays low...i'm told my line is excellent and that browsing and gaming should'nt be a problem..which i thought was fine, until i tried to download something...
      Back when were were on 12megs a month or so ago everything was good, browsing was fast, gaming was very good and downloading was at 1.5MB a second!!! now my gaming is laggy, my browsing is okay but my downloading is atrocious!! i'm getting at most 160kbps per second which i know is like 2meg broadband, even when my line had been capped to the 9meg i was still getting over 800kbps...
      What i want to know is why would he tell me my broadband is great when it clearly is'nt??? Sorry to bug you guys again but can anyone help me out here, my current stats are below (the noise margin looks very very low to me!)
      Does compromisation have to be made between having a line good for gaming and browsing AND having a nice download speed too? does one area have to take a little hit to allow others to be better? i'm getting very confused now and i hope someone out there can advise me on what to do next!!

Cheers guys!!
      Tony

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13769 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28 db 6.5 db
      Noise Margin 3 db 13 db

Edit: a quick visit to youtube has revealed that video streaming also now seems to be out of the question also as it buffers every few seconds!!
      Last edited by Shadowhunta; 13-03-09 at 01:13 AM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Where is the router plugged in? you need to get it in the test socket to ruke out internal line faults.

You noise margin has dropped an you will be getting errors on the line whic is why everything is starting to drop out.

Until you can rule out the internal wiring and post your stats from the test socket, it is hard to say what is going on.

Thanks

I don't have a test socket, i took the bell wire out of the master socket and other than that internal wiring seems fine? And if you look at above stats around the 12meg mark it was fine and dandy!! perhaps another call to CST is in order??

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Before you phone Sky again, just check all your extension sockets just to make sure you do not have a second master socket fitted by mistake. If you are in any doubt, then remove the connection to "3" (the ring wire) on all the other sockets as well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast