Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Pain stricken speeds

This is a discussion on Pain stricken speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi there im new to thesite , and im running out of places to run to. basicly we moved to ...

karls is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01623
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Pain stricken speeds

hi there im new to thesite , and im running out of places to run to. basicly we moved to sky packadge a few weeks ago inc broadband , since we got connected the speeds have been well see for your self

as you can see that would be amazing if we was on ISDN but as were on 16mb its ludacris it took me over 45 minutes to download a 26 meg file , i phoned up bt to check see if there was any faults on the line , they were no help at all they said i had to ring sky which i did they said leave it a few days to let the connection stabilize , yeah its increased by 20 kbps , now im just fed up lol.

i then re phoned bt and asked them if they could send out someone to rewire the main socket because it is a old house but ive never had these problems before
      they then told me the price of the service which would be a minimum of 117 quid just for the call out and a additional 93 quid for every half a hour they were there ( no thanks) admittely its not as bad as some users here bit still 430kbs is extremely poor for a 16 meg connection. admitely the exchange isnt far away form the main hub were i live approx 2.9km which i belive is a acceptable distance as i used to get 16 meg from BE24meg before.
      this is using the main and test socket both remain the same
      any help would be amazing thanks

heres some stats
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 0:16:27

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1458 1868 0 0 0 0:15:13
      LAN 5151 4205 0 0 0 0:16:27
      WLAN 299 0 0 0 0 0:13:37

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 511 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 24.4 db
      Noise Margin 33.1 db 23.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Pain stricken speeds

Your connection is heavily capped. If you have been connected for more than a couple of weeks, phone Sky and ask them to configure your line as DLM has left it crippled.

One thing I will say, is that you will never get 16 mb with an attenuation of 45dbs, about the maximum you will get will be 8-10 Mb. If you had 16 Mb before, then your line has changed in some way, it will never support it now.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

bugger lol, i dont mind 8- meg is good enough for me , i know you never get speeds that you signed up for but gettin around there area is good enough but not even gettin a 1mb is just sucky , how does it get capped?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Dynamic Line Management is run on your line, supposedly to configure it for best results. This does not work every time and leaves the line heavily capped if it finds anything wrong. Phone Sky and they will sort you out. It saves time if you are plugged into the Test socket or Master socket if you don't have one. Also try the other filters, you will probably be asked to do this, so as I said, it saves time if you can say you have already done it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

n1 peeps thanks very much i shall ring up tomrow asthey said ring after a few days for the line to stablize so ill ask them about it