Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Putting a friend on Sky broadband.

This is a discussion on Putting a friend on Sky broadband. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just a few questions really guys. Heres the scenario. My friend is currently on tesco broadband and has been for ...

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Putting a friend on Sky broadband.

Just a few questions really guys. Heres the scenario. My friend is currently on tesco broadband and has been for last 4 or so years. Shes paying 18 for a bog standard 512k connection!
      Her kids want to go on Xbox live and thus need a router because she also wants to use her pc at the same time.
      Her asking me this has brought it too my attention that she is not getting a very good deal, I have done a broadband check and it says she should be able to receive 4.5mb connection, although shes probably paying for just a 512k connection from tesco.
      I was thinking of putting her on to sky broadband, she does'nt want tv,phone packages etc, just the broadband .
      Here is the link to the exchange shes on.

Samknows Broadband - St Day (WWSDAY) Exchange

From this I think the only package she could get from sky would be the sky connect package?
      Would they charge her the full 17 a month or would they do it cheaper as the exchange is'nt doing the LLU services yet. It seems they will be having 21CN in the 3rd quarter of 2009. My brother was in the same predicament and pays only a fiver a month for sky connect.
      Also my year is nearly up with sky and am looking for a sky+ plus box...If i refer a friend and also renew another years contract with them whats the chances of getting a sky+ box?

Lots of questions i know. Thanks guys.

2. Advertisement
      Fusion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Putting a friend on Sky broadband.

Hi,

You can only get SKY BB if you are a SKY TV subscriber. If you can persuade her to join at TV package then you could get the introduce a friend deal (50 M&S vouchers) not sure about getting a free SKY+ box.

I would also be wary of recommending the connect broadband at the moment due to the throttling problem See this thread (Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?).

She would have to pay the full price as its on connect once the exchange is unbundled then the price would drop to the following (base: 5 Mid: 10 Max: 15) if she then took out sky talk (which is free) then the prices would drop on the broadband by 5 per month (making the base one free)

Hope this helps

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

If your friend ditched Tesco she could have Sky TV for the same price. If she takes Sky TV then she can have 'free' Broadband if she also takes the 'free' Sky Talk phone package.

So she can have 2MB Broadband, Telephone Calls and Sky TV for the same price as Tesco 512kb. Even if she never watches Sky TV she's better off.

Fusion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi dms05..

I nearly added this then noted that she could only get the connect BB package as SKY have not unbundled the exchange.. This means she would have to pay the full 17 connect price and would not be able to get free broadband until the exchange was unbundled. Which means a minimum spend with sky of about 33.50 (16.50 min sky package + 17 bb)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I honestly don't know how Tesco Broadband stays in business, they must be the only ISP in UK who offer a maximum speed of 2Mb.

Even if your friend wanted Sky TV, I would not put her on Connect. There are plenty of other ISPs who use BT's ADSLMax who have a better relationship with BT, Plusnet for one. She should shop around for the best deal in her area. Being a small rural exchange it is very unlikely to be enabled by any of the LLU ISPs in the near future. Broadband Choice is a good starting point.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tobys550 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, so it looks like sky could be a disaster for her then lol. I could'nt believe the speed she was getting from tesco..shocking really. I will take a look at that broadband choice website. Many thanks.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

well toby i'd said o2 access i think its called? if she doesnt want the sky telly thing....

but that is a awful exchange!