Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LLU v Re-badged BT Product

This is a discussion on LLU v Re-badged BT Product within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm on Sky BB Connect at 17 per month for "upto 8Mbs" - and get around 3Mbs I know this ...

BandAid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lee-on-the-Solent
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Red face LLU v Re-badged BT Product

I'm on Sky BB Connect at 17 per month for "upto 8Mbs" - and get around 3Mbs

I know this is a re-badged BT product and I know it's best to go for a LLU product if possible.

The only LLU provider at my exchange is TalkTalk. But when I go onto their site and put in my details it says the best I can expect is 2.8Mbs, despite being just 578 metres away (crow flies).

I thought LLU was better for speed? Now I'm confused!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: LLU v Re-badged BT Product

What are your stats on Connect?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi IsItMe - My router has died and I'm waiting for Sky to send me a new one. (I'm on my laptop with a 3G card)

I had put my numbers (the only ones I can remember are the sync speed - 4.1Mbs and the attenuation - 42db) into one of those online "this is the best speed you can expect" calculators and it came out with 6Mbs. So I reckon I'm being capped anyway.

So, should LLU be faster than my BB Connect?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

not really, but as the crow flies means nothing compared to total line length...

although with a 42 attenuation you should get 5-6Mbps (i get 5.5Mbps with 46 on Connect)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

When I do the TalkTalk check I get -
      Your Landline and Broadband will go live on 19 Mar, 09 at speed up to 3.6Mbps
      ATM with Sky I get 7Mbs I don't think TT actually check the phone line, but work on a Post code data base.

My next door neighbour is with TT and gets 4.5Mb. He is from the same pole as me with a shorter drop line and I have done everything I know to increase his speed. So as far a speeds are concerned, in my case, Sky rules.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If it is the same database that we use, Samknows, that is historic figure from BT and is sometimes way out of date.

As others, my attenuation is 46 and I get 7meg although the checker says about 3meg

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Thanks Guys for getting back to me......but, alas I'm still none the wiser.

The question I'm asking is, will it be better to go from Sky BB Connect (not LLU) to TT which is LLU?

And if (what you're suggesting) my attenuation suggests I should be getting faster BB from Sky, would I be right in saying to them, "Oi! You're capping me, pack it in!" ??

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The question I'm asking is, will it be better to go from Sky BB Connect (not LLU) to TT which is LLU?
      That's impossible to answer. If you look at the facts already presented.

Checkers normally under estimate. Mine for example shows 3meg but I get 7meg on LLU - On ADSL Max (same product as Connect and owned by BT and not using LLU technology) I was getting about 6 meg. So LLU increased my line by about 1 meg.

If TT don't traffic shape or they don't have contention, then chances are possibly that your experience maybe a little better, and your BB may not slow down in the evening. However, with absolutely no experience of TT I don't want to raise your hopes.

With an attenuation of 42 I would expect you to already be on a higher sync than you are now. You should expect approx 6 - 7 meg or even higher.

And if (what you're suggesting) my attenuation suggests I should be getting faster BB from Sky, would I be right in saying to them, "Oi! You're capping me, pack it in!" ??
      Yes and no - However, you maybe capped because your line is bad / internal extensions etc are not up to it.

I would wait until you have the Sky router, and then give us the proper stats so we can help or advise / recommend some things to try. TT is an 18 month contract (I think) So if it goes wrong, that's a long time.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the only advantage of LLU is the ISP owns the equipment so it's easier to troubleshoot/fix hardware issues as you haven't got the extra chain...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

^^^^^^^
      That is apart from possibly having a 16Mb download, higher upload and unlimited bandwidth

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast