Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

has anyone had Sky support say slow speeds are down to spyware ?

This is a discussion on has anyone had Sky support say slow speeds are down to spyware ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can I start by saying what a great and informative site this is and thanks to all concerned for setting ...

Johnny Bravo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Ex Max Customer
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky support say my slow speed is down to my antispyware and i should contact Ad-Aware

Can I start by saying what a great and informative site this is and thanks to all concerned for setting it up.

After lurking for so long I thought I would share my recent my recent experiences with ‘Technical Support’ with everyone to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

So anyway, I took the plunge and went for Sky BB (max package) no problems at all with the setup, it was only a day late. Can’t complain.

So up and running I am with these router stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 18.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 10.6 db

Fantastic I thought. However after doing 2 speed tests (speedtest.net and adslguide) I was getting score of between 2000-3000 kbps wireless and 3000-5000 kbps rj45 connected.

Strange I thought - so I thought id phone Sky to see what theyd say. After a 25 min wait (no worries, I used the free 0800 number) a cheery bloke answered and I explained my issue and he said ‘something isn’t right’ and suggested I plug the router in the master socket on the wall by removing the plate etc. He said try this and do a speed test and he will call me back in ten mins.

I did as instructed and sure enough speeds went up, not by much but they were up (5000 kbps wireless and 7500 kbps connected)

So I waited for his call. And waited. And waited.

8 hours later it was obvious he wasn’t going to call back so I phoned Sky TS back (35 min wait) and explained everything to the new guy at the end of the phone.

Again he said it was strange and asked me to open a command prompt and type ‘netstat’. Now I am aware of this command and I said did he want me to close all my 3 browser windows that were open (one of which was speedtest.net). He said ‘no it will be fine’. Now I thought this was strange but I did as requested and reported back about 25 instances running (as I expected there to be) He then claimed that my computer was infected with spyware. I explained it wasn’t and said the reason why there were so many netstat instances running was because there were browser windows open. To confirm this I closed all my browser windows, left everything for 60 seconds and tried netstat again – this time there were 3 instances running (as I expected) I then said that there definitely wasn’t any spyware on my laptop as I had run a scan that very morning (I use spybot and adaware) He said he didn’t agree and I said that I would like to speak to someone with a little more technical knowledge. Not for one second was I rude but I just couldn’t trust this guy, particularly as he said having browser windows open and wouldn’t affect a netstat test

I was placed on hold and 5 mins later a real arsey bloke came on the phone and said ‘sir you have spyware, there is nothing more I can do’ . getting somewhat exasperated I asked him to hold on whilst I did an adaware scan, which as like I knew it would bought back nothing. I did netstat again, with the same results – 3 instances.

He then uttered words that I could not believe I was hearing – ‘in that case you need to contact ad-aware and spybot as their software isn’t working’

I could’ve screamed.

Now don’t get me wrong. I am not being ungrateful. With Sky BB I am now paying less than half the price I was with Demon and getting 3 times the speed. The reason for my call was just to find out why my router says im getting 15kbps but yet my tests were showing between 3 and 7kbps. I am 1.3 miles from my exchange so I wouldn’t never expect the max speed but I just thought it was strange.

I put this to him and he said ‘Sky do not recognise any third party speed tests’ he then went on to say ‘as far as Sky was concerned they are doing their bit and the problem is between the router and my laptop and he wasn’t prepared to help anymore’.

Whatever!!!

It was Saturday night and I was itching to get down the boozer at this point. So I gave up.

Like I said I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but I was alarmed at 3 things

1 – Someone from Sky saying they were going to phone back in 10 mins and not doing so.

2 – A Sky representative asking me to do a netstat test incorrectly and falsely claiming my laptop was riddled with spyware

3 - Another Sky representative being somewhat rude and unwilling to help any further.

Now I’m not done with this yet, but before I phone Sky again I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues?

Phew!

Thanks for listening!
      Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 25-09-06 at 05:52 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Johnny

I understand why they asked you that as they have a set procedure that they have to go through when anyone calls regarding speed problems ad to answer you question it is very possible for spyware to case all kinds of problems.

You are not alone when it come to call backs and I do wish they would make up there minds on this and sort this issue out as there are a lot of posts on here about that very problem

It would seem that there are to odd ones that are being shirty with customers and though I dont agrre with them or customers having a go at each other I can understand the frustration everyone is under.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cheers Wheelie.

Im aware they have a set procedure to go through. However what annoyed me most was their complete and utter unwillingness to help any further especially as i definitley do not have any spyware!

i dont want to come across as ungrateful, i still have a decent speed and reading some of the horror stories on this site i think i may even be lucky.

its just annoying thats all.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 25-09-06 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Oh I agree and I have said this before I think they should take into account a customers knowledge and ability and thats where the problems start as a novice will happily be talked through x, y and z where as a knowable customer gets frustrated with all the rigmarole.

I really think there should be give and take on both sides
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i totally agree mate.

id just really like to know what the issue is - i think i have the right (but not according to the guy i spoke too!)

i was so annoyed/exasperrated i called it a day. but im back to square one.

sky say im getting 15kbps, but quite clearly im am not.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I can tell you this much, Tech Support do have the ability to see if there is a problem showing in the exchange, DSlam and card that you are connected to and if that doesn't show anything they are stuffed as they have to then rely on Openreach (BTW) and thats where the yoyo syndrome kicks in and still the customer none the wiser.

So my advice to you would be to make sure there is nothing in the house that could be causing you a problem like a duff filter etc before you put yourself through the pain of calling.

Good luck
      Ray

click here