Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Green Telephone Light on Sky HD Box = No Internet Connection?

This is a discussion on Green Telephone Light on Sky HD Box = No Internet Connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys Very odd problem this morning. My Sky Broadband Connect is temporarily losing connection (has happened about 5 times ...

Jezzer256 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Findon, Worthing
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Green Telephone Light on Sky HD Box = No Internet Connection?

Hi Guys

Very odd problem this morning. My Sky Broadband Connect is temporarily losing connection (has happened about 5 times so far), and whenever the connection is down, the green telephone light comes on on the front of my Sky HD Box. It then goes off again after about 30 secs, and then my internet connection works again.

What on earth is going on?

Jez

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Green Telephone Light on Sky HD Box = No Internet Connection?

Check the telephone wiring to the Sky box. Do you have a microfilter in the telephone line to the Sky HD box?

The modem in the Sky HD box is trying to phone home but when it does so this brings your broadband down. Usually a fault in the setup or wiring will be to blame. If you haven't already done this, you should connect your router directly into a filtered faceplate at the master socket. All of these "Extension related" problems will go away and you will get better internet performance to boot.

You should be able to repeat the fault at will by going into the menu on the sky box and forcing it to dial up. There is an outside chance that this is being caused by a faulty modem in your Sky hd box but this wouldn't be the first thing to look for - A wiring fault is most likely and since the sky box calls home infrequently unless you buy pay per view movies, it will only happen occasionally. Even if you have had broadband for some time, you may not have noticed it before now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just to add to the above, TV fitters do not fit filters. They may have given you an extension which looks like a filter, it is not, it is simply a splitter. I you haven't done so, remove this and plug it into a filter.
      Unless you have multi room, Sky don't worry too much about keeping boxes plugged in, so if it continues to cause problems, just unplug it. If Sky do complain, tell them it is effecting your Broadband.
      As Ratcliffes says, the best solution is a filtered faceplate, which makes all extension problems go away.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      Check the telephone wiring to the Sky box. Do you have a microfilter in the telephone line to the Sky HD box?

The modem in the Sky HD box is trying to phone home but when it does so this brings your broadband down. Usually a fault in the setup or wiring will be to blame. If you haven't already done this, you should connect your router directly into a filtered faceplate at the master socket. All of these "Extension related" problems will go away and you will get better internet performance to boot.

You should be able to repeat the fault at will by going into the menu on the sky box and forcing it to dial up. There is an outside chance that this is being caused by a faulty modem in your Sky hd box but this wouldn't be the first thing to look for - A wiring fault is most likely and since the sky box calls home infrequently unless you buy pay per view movies, it will only happen occasionally. Even if you have had broadband for some time, you may not have noticed it before now.
      Thanks guys. It does have a microfilter connected so that shouldn't be the problem.

I have often tried to locate my master socket to check if it improves my ping on the broadband. However I have failed. How do I know which socket is the master socket? This would be wonderful to know!

I guess this may have happened when I've dialed up on the Sky box before - but I would have been sitting at my TV - so I wouldn't have noticed the broadband going down.

Cheers

Jez

PS If the problem happens again, I will just disconnect the Sky HD box from the phone line as suggested. Until the dreaded phone call from Sky!

Thanks

See the link below for information on your Test socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

All the telephone sockets in my house look like that. So I guess I'll have to go round them all 1 by 1 until I find one with a test socket inside.

The guide says all the other telephone sockets won't work whilst my router is plugged into the test socket. Therefore this surely isn't a permanent solution?

Jez

Thanks

OK I plugged it into the master socket, but now all the other sockets in the house don't work lol. What is this trying to solve?!

Jez

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

If you are in the test socket that is supposed to hapen as it disconnects all other sockets on the line.

Thanks

Also if you post your stats from there and from your normal position, we may be able to advise on how to improve your connection and you were the one who asked about the Test socket.

I have often tried to locate my master socket to check if it improves my ping on the broadband. However I have failed. How do I know which socket is the master socket? This would be wonderful to know!

TomD

Useful Utilites