Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Some expert advice on these figures please

This is a discussion on Some expert advice on these figures please within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am using a Belkin router and am not with sky but could somebody say if these figures are any ...

silverfox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Washington
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some expert advice on these figures please

I am using a Belkin router and am not with sky but could somebody say if these figures are any good please. Also I live about 2Km from the exchange as the crow flies. Also speed test attached
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some expert advice on these figures please-capture.jpg   Some expert advice on these figures please-speed.jpg  
      Last edited by silverfox; 18-02-09 at 04:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      colic00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Some expert advice on these figures please

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
      I am using a Belkin router and am not with sky but could somebody say if these figures are any good please. Also I live about 2Km from the exchange as the crow flies. Also speed test attached
      As in good what do you want to know for?

To me your Line Attenuation appears high to say you are only 2km from the exchange. My Line Attenuation is 23.0 down and 10.8 up.

So with an attenuation of 48 down and 55 up seems quite high as I probably live between 1.5 and 2km away from my telephone exchange (by road not as the crow fly's)

So I would say the speed test is quite healthy for the line stats?

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

2km As the crow flies, thats the thing, looks like your capped, but not sure as your not on sky and using a belkin, why post on here.

yorkie98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'd say that judging by your sync speed and the speedtest result, its not a million miles out, a speedtest would only typically give around 70-80% of your sync speed, allowing for network traffic, connection overheads etc, I'd say you are doing ok.
      Remember... Crows may fly in straight lines, but copper wires from phone exchanges dont. They can go all over the place before they get to your door.

You may however be able to improve your sync speed by carrying out all the usual checks and optimising your telephone connections. There are thousands of threads on hundreds of forums to help with this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Although you are with Zen you appear to be on BT's ADSLMax. If so, you are probably getting as much as your line will handle. You can check this by trying a BT Performance check. To do this go to - Test Result and put in your phone number, then the ADSL username from your router. If you cannot use this tester, then I am wrong about your connection type.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.