Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New Slow Speed Problem

This is a discussion on New Slow Speed Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am not certain, but I think as long as you subscribe to Sky TV, you can retain the email. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New Slow Speed Problem

I am not certain, but I think as long as you subscribe to Sky TV, you can retain the email. It would probably mean you would only be able to access it through the Web, but I may be wrong there too.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Jimrod is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well just got off the phone with the tier 2 guys - seems I'm just as screwed as the others. Said he will "ask" BT about it but doesn't hold out much hope. Asked if I use peer-to-peer, I said "yup" about 2 gig's worth of American TV a week (the stuff we can't get!) and he thinks BT saw that and whacked the limiter on... and being BT are unlikely to remove it.

Sooo for half the price I can get double the quoted speed (16 instead of 8meg) with no issues from O2 (seem best bet - and have 0800 helpline!!) and I'll have to say goodby to Sky. What a pain

Cheers for the help!

Thanks

That is nonsense!!!! Phone them back and tell them you are not complaining about being throttled, your profile is set far too low. This not how BT throttle, they throttle the throughput not the profile. That is if it is BT that is doing the throttling, most are convinced it is Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmmm, I have a reference number now so will give them another call, cheers dude...

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Actually, before I get in an argument with them can you tell me the difference? What does setting my profile to 500kbps mean? BT have decided that's my max speed allowance and I'm stuck with it? I presume Sky wouldn't have done this? And they wouldn't do that for using peer-to-peer software (responsibly - i.e. well within the 40gig usage, probably half that per month at most).

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you need to get to CST as only the have the tools to see what you just did (seems I was right in my thinking the line rate was wrong)...

and it's nothing to do with Sky...BT run the connection, but the traffic shaping IS done by Sky but it wouldn't change your IP profile, just the speed of the traffic...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well the latest is - Sky say my profile is set to max (I presume max for the line as I'm not on the max package) and they checked my results from the speedtester.bt.com utility and seem confused... The 500mbps profile is apparently down to "traffic" (rubbish as it's like this 24/7) - so I now have to do a late evening and early morning test for them to collate the results and see where to go from there... Fingers crossed it gets me somewhere!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

God's sake...

your line is set to 'Max' as in IPStream Max BUT your line profile is the issue...if the agent in CST can't see that then they should be sacked - simple as...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

IANTE, I am glad you are with me on this, how the heck do some of these agents get employed. They are obviously not up to the job. All I can say to the OP is that he rings back and hopes he gets someone who knows their job. I don't suppose you are on duty any time soon.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here's the last two test results they've asked me to provide, and, OMG, what a shock, they show exactly the same thing as before... The guy I spoke to was pleasant enough and said he'd need these extra results as the indicated issue on the speedtester.bt.com results he saw said the problem was "traffic" - if this is 24/7 then it can't be the case and he can do something.

I don't know enough about the ISP side of things really but as IANTE said, if my profile is set to 500kbps then I don't know why they can't understand that...

Test 2 (22:17 - 17/02/09)

Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 445 kbps

Test 3 (07:27 - 18/02/09)

Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 437 kbps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast