Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless problem - limited or no connectivity

This is a discussion on Wireless problem - limited or no connectivity within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has posted a reply here. Unfortunately I am ...

dt04 is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Re: Wireless problem - limited or no connectivity

First of all I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has posted a reply here.

Unfortunately I am still having problems though.

This is the latest in order of reply:

Have you changed any of the other settings on the router ?
      Channle ( mite be set to auto ) change to some thing like 11 or 13,
      Mode try to set this to B only,

Have now tried changing channels but without success. I could only set the mode to G and B or G only and not B only.

When you scan for a network what is the signal like ?

Signal is very good.

Try changing the DNS detail to this if changing channels does not work.
      Preferred DNS
      Secondary DNS leave black

Still no joy.

Go to the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers. If you can get the drivers only, that will be better, don't bother with other software if it is offered separately.

Could only get the latest drivers with the software. Once installed the software was still not showing any connections. I'm going to have a search to see if anyone else has issues with the adapter/software but would rather not use it at all if possible.

There is another thing you can check before you try the above and that is check in the router wireless settings that Wireless Isolation is not ticked(unlikely) or that the Wireless Access List is not set up. This would block new connections until the details are entered.

It's not.

Just a minor thing to add to Isitme's excellent advice - check in Device Manager that the USB device is not set to Power off to save power!

I had this problem a couple of days ago.
      Try switching the router off for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on again and try to connect to it and it should work again.

The router is switched off when not in use so I guess that rules this out.

Might want to tell us what channel is in use on the router too in case its just a channel issue.

It is now set to 11 but was previously on 5. Have also tried 13.

limited or no connectivity generally means there is an ip conflict with another system on the network, change your:

IP address

Preferred DNS
      Secondary DNS _ _ _._ _ _._ _ _._ _ _(blank)

Tried this but still no luck.

Despite all of the above not working I did actually manage to get a wireless connection working fine (until I restarted my machine!).

Now this seems strange to me but I'm hoping will make sense to someone else - I can get a connection if I first get connected with the ethernet cable and then remove the cable. I was able to do this a few times. It doesn't really help as there would be no point in having wireless if I had to plug the cable in beforehand each time but hopefully this will help to find an answer.

Also perhaps worth noting is that when I first plugged the ethernet cable in I was getting limited or no connectivity with that too (was quite a stressful evening!) and this was only fixed when running the netsh winsock reset catalog command.

this command is needed to sort a problem in XP sp 2 and is meant to be fixed in sp 3. I am running sp 3!

Thanks again guys for all your help.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Some other things for you to try, my apologies if you have already done so.

Download and run WinsockRepair This is usually only required when you have removed malware which corrupts the Winsock, but it may help.

Try starting in Safe Mode with Networking. This stops everything running that is not required. Don't have the ethernet cable connected when you try this. It does not always work with wireless, but it may do.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

macbeth is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other

Read all the notes so far and I do see that you switch on and off the router, but I don't see that you have tryed to press that reset button and the back of router with a something with a narrow point (i.e. a pen) for between 5 and 10 seconds all light except test light (tick) will come on. I also had a issue with limited or no connectivity with ethernet cable the other night and it was due to the firewall blocking the ip address. Its zonealarm that I use. Had to tell the firewall to take the ip address or else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12