Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hooking up a laptop to existing router?

This is a discussion on Hooking up a laptop to existing router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Not sure this is right group but point to correct if its not? I have sagem/sky router and have ...

basalt2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01244
      Broadband ISP: BT fibre
      Router: BT business hub 2701HGV
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hooking up a laptop to existing router?

Hi,
      Not sure this is right group but point to correct if its not?
      I have sagem/sky router and have just got daughter a laptop- - - but I cant seem to link with her pc and mine via the router. Her pc says its a firewall issue?
      I dont know what to do
      Is this something to do with the router setup site?
      Both pcs access the internet ok- - its just linking up with each other.
      I am using vista ultimate and daughters is vista home I see it at network page but cant access hers cos it asks for user name and password
      Is that the one for router - -admin then sky as that doesnt work either!
      Sorry for being so dumb but its a long time since I had to think about this kinda stuff
      tia
      Stuart
      Stuart

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Hooking up a laptop to existing router?

To share across the network you need to set it up correctly. Are both PCs on the same workgroup, do you have shared folders on each pc and do you have an account on the Vista PC? Its asking you to prove you are allowed access to the PC on the network by asking for a user name and password for an account on the PC you are trying to access across the network.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Networking in Vista is very easy. Just open the Network and sharing centre and do the following.
      A)Make sure both computers on the network have the same workgroup name.
      B)Change the network location type to Private.
      C)Turn Network Discovery on
      D)Turn File Sharing on.
      E)Turn Public folder sharing on
      F)Turn Printer sharing on
      G)Turn password protected sharing off.
      H)Turn Media Sharing on
      Do this on both computers and you should have full access. Remember to be accessed a folder must be Public

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

OK and thanks a lot- - well I got the workgroup sorted- - - it was showing the sky code on the laptop and "Home" on this pc!! They are now ok but (isnt there always) when I try to access my pc via hers I get this firewall issue "windows confirms MYPC is currently online but is not responding to conection attempts at this time"
      Then says " This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking file and printer sharing (smb). Windows has confirmed that windows firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection, however a remote firewall might be blocking your connection"

Then it says "If you have access to this firewall then configure the firewall to allow connections through tcp port 445" it says if you dont have access then contact isp!!

Any ideas? thanks again
      Stuart.
      Stuart

Thanks

Are you running a 3rd party firewall? If so set the port exception as recommended. If you are not, it may be the Windows Firewall, so go to the Security Centre and click Allow a program through the firewall. In the Settings, click the Exceptions tab then the Add Port button and fill in the details. You can call it anything.

I must say I have never had to do this on my network, setting things up as I explained before was always enough.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks again
      No third party- and I thought I already allowed firewall through this port 455.
      I will investigate further but daughter is around at the mo and its her Birthday present!
      Not supposed to see it until 26th!!
      Incidentally when checking the network discovery centre I see a "Custom" in the discovery sector even when I tick the "turn on network discovery" button!
      It just goes back to custom
      Stuart.
      Stuart

Thanks

I see a "Custom" in the discovery sector even when I tick the "turn on network discovery"
      Explanation of Custom Network Discovery
      Custom

• This is a mixed state in which some settings related to network discovery are enabled, but not all of them. For example, network discovery could be turned on, but you or your system administrator might have disabled a firewall exception that affects network discovery.
      I am not sure why you are getting this, but it may be the reason for your problem. Have a look at the Windows Firewall setting and on the Advanced tab, check that Local Area Connection is selected and ticked.
      You could also check the Firewall settings by opening Administrator Tools and double clicking the Windows Firewall entry. Have a look at the Inbound and Outbound rules(click in left pane) see if anything is blocked that should not be. It is possible to get something out of place here as it is easy to click the wrong button when the Firewall is 'training'.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Your help is really appreciated.
      After doing a bit more digging I checked the "services box" and enabled "dns.client and "net.tcp" and the custom problem is no longer there! Its set to "network on". which is an improvement at least.
      I still could not find anything in the firewall inbound/outbound that looked relevant so I disabled firewall to test and got this when attempting to access from the laptop.
      Mypc (the one I am trying to connect to) is not setup to establish a connection on port "file and printer sharing (smb)" with this computer.
      I might be closer but its late and I am still pretty baffled
      Stuart

Thanks

I fixed it!! I made another adjustment in the services - - disabled dns.client and re-enabled and now it works!!
      Still not sure that was it mind but I am NOT going to quibble
      Many thanks for your advice its nice to have someone to give guidance :0)
      Stuart

Thanks

I have another couple of things you can try, the first is to check that File and Printer Sharing is enabled in the adapter Properties It should be, but to check go to the Network and Sharing Centre click the Manage Network Connections link in the left pane, then right click the adapter icon and make sure File and Printer Sharing is ticked.

What you are describing can also be caused by AVs, Norton and McAfee in particular. You might want to try disabling these, to see if there is any improvement. If there is then the proper 'fix' can be found.

I have also found a very good tutorial which you may find useful -
      File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Edit - Glad you are fixed, the tutorial is still worth a look
      Last edited by Isitme; 17-02-09 at 12:47 PM.

TomD

Useful Utilites