Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

HELP! surely it cant be this slow!

This is a discussion on HELP! surely it cant be this slow! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just moved back to my mum and dad's and found their connection to be unusually slow. We're on broadband ...

Jimmy87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hamilton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

HELP! surely it cant be this slow!

I've just moved back to my mum and dad's and found their connection to be unusually slow. We're on broadband mid package and i know that we could never get anywhere near 8mb download speeds because of the distance from the exchange but i thought it would have been faster than what it is. So i came to the conclusion that something might be wrong considering I've seen no one post stats as low as mine.

Anyway enough of the sob story here's my setup and stats. I'm running off an XP desktop, with the router(original white one, original firmware) plugged directly into the desktop. The router is plugged into a telephone socket upstairs. I dont think it is wiring issue since its a new house however I havn't tested it using the test socket but have plugged the router into the master socket with no improvement.

WAN PPPoA 325099 414995 0 241 4237 27:33:39
      LAN 10M/100M 413809 324504 0 4292 307 27:35:05
      WLAN 11M/54M 4874 3063 0 29 5 27:34:57

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 384 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 db 34.8 db
      Noise Margin 4.8 db 13.0 db

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on emailing sky using the provided form but would be nice to know what the problem may be if there is any. Also could some one suggest a good site for checking what speed the line could support. Ive done a few but some say 1mb and others say 2mb.

Thank You

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: HELP! surely it cant be this slow!

Before you conntact Sky you really must plug the router into the Test socket, do that and post the stats from there. You obviously have a very serious noise problem and checking from the Test socket is the way forward. You are not capped, or if you are, your line must be very bad. Just because a houses wiring is new, does not mean it is OK, in fact the opposite is often the case. New houses are often wired by contractors who are only interested in profit, not doing a good job.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ok so i plugged the router into the test socket and here's the results

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 95 88 0 1256 690 00:00:53
      LAN 10M/100M 321 335 0 558 418 00:03:55
      WLAN 11M/54M 106 0 0 103 0 00:03:47

Line Attenuation 54.5 db 34.6 db
      Noise Margin 16.2 db 15.5 db

There was no improvement in download speed, so i don't know if this is a bad sign or a good sign.

Thanks

Line Attenuation 55.0 db 34.8 db
      Noise Margin 4.8 db 13.0 db

Line Attenuation 54.5 db 34.6 db
      Noise Margin 16.2 db 15.5 db

The readings in red above are the crucial ones. These show that your internal wiring is causing a lot of noise and this is one of the reasons your line is capped. You can fix this by fitting an Filtered Faceplate and plugging the router into it. In the mean time, if you can leave the router in the Test socket, you can phone Sky, tell them you have improved the wiring so could they lift the cap on your line. You should see 3-4Mb.

Also check any extensions you have have no dial tone when the faceplate is off. There should be none.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks Very much for your help its much appreciated. So just to make sure of what i have to do.
      1. Fit the new faceplate you recommended
      2. Phone sky and tell them I've made improvements to the wiring and could they left the cap

also quick question when I've done the above how long will it take before i start seeing improvement

Thanks

That is more or less it. You should see an immediate improvement. There is no waiting for your line to train as it would with Connect.

TomD

Useful Utilites