Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I on ADSL2+

This is a discussion on Am I on ADSL2+ within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is there any way of determining with the Sagem Router if I am on ADSL2+? The reason I ask is ...

mjdominey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Am I on ADSL2+

Is there any way of determining with the Sagem Router if I am on ADSL2+?

The reason I ask is that I think I have been switched over, but am not sure why..

When I first got activated a week or so ago, I was syncing at anywhere between 4500 and 5200 down, and 768 up - that was with an attenuation of 50dB and a SNR of 7dB

Now, my attenuation has increased to 55.5dB (as it would with the higher frequencies employed by ADSL2+), my up sync speed has increased to 796 kbps, and my down sync decreased to a maximum of 4095, SNR 8.1dB

I think I may have been switched to ADSL2+ looking at the evidence, but not sure why - as I will see absolutely no benefit on a long line, and in fact, as seen, with the higher frequencies employed on ADSL2+ will see some detriment (0.5 - 1mb less downstream speed)
      Last edited by mjdominey; 15-02-09 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Am I on ADSL2+

That looks like DLM is running on your connection. Moving to ADSL2+ and an upstream sync of 796kbps are typical signs.

mjdominey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bugger! My ping to known servers has increased from a consistent 53ms to nearly 70ms as well

I appreciate what DLM is trying to achieve, but surely moving someone on a line like mine to ADSL2+ kinda defeats the object? Surely keeping me on standard g.dmt/adsl would yield a more stable connection?

Am I likely to stay on ADSL2+ now?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Allegedly, only new customers are going on DLM at the moment but it would appear that it has been turned on for yours too.

ADSL2+ shouldn't, in theory, give a worse connection than G.DMT but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence, for the Sky network/firmwares at least, that G.DMT can perform better on some long, lowish quality lines. Yours appears to be one of those. I say appears because you'd need to ascertain that the lower sync wasn't just a result of booting the router at a noisy time of day e.g. the evening. It could also be that DLM has increased your noise margin slightly (i.e. capped it) and this is why your sync is lower. Again, you'd need to run some tests to see if this was so.

My understanding of Sky's DLM is that once turned on, it stays on. If a CST were to put you back to G.DMT then I'd assume DLM would also have to be turned off. As DLM isn't supposed to be running on your connection (yet) they may well turn it off if you ask. However, when DLM is rolled out to all customers some time this year, I'd presume the problem could well reappear - unless Sky introduce more flexibility in how DLM can be managed.