Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Please help me work out what's going on with my broadband connection!

This is a discussion on Please help me work out what's going on with my broadband connection! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, in the hope that I might be able ...

Crimson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Poole
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy Please help me work out what's going on with my broadband connection!

Hi All

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now, in the hope that I might be able to do something about the atrocious service I'm getting from Sky at the moment, but I just can't seem to get anywhere, so I thought I might post something and see if anyone else has any specific advice for me....

Had Sky Broadband activated in December 2008 and am on Sky Mid (up to 8mb). When BT installed our BT line in November, they said that we would only be able to get about 2mb which was fine. I've since checked this online and that's pretty much what it says - 2mb max. - I was happy with that, but now, 10 weeks later, I am still struggling to get 400kb!!!

My local exchange is Poole, and according to DSL I am 2.23km away from the exchange. Here are my stats from the router (it's a Black Sagem one)...

System Up Time: 817:13:44

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 9340084 10060741 0 0 0 817:12:36
      LAN 15 0 0 0 0 817:13:44
      WLAN 10348616 9585212 0 0 0 817:13:17
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 378 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 36.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 15.0 db

Basically, now I'm a bit lost so I apologise to all of you seasoned users who will be able to make more of this than me....

The modem is plugged into the master BT socket in the living room. There appears to be some kind of extension that runs through the house (the second Sky box is plugged into it in the bedroom) but I have no idea where is comes from...although there is an ADT alarm in the house which is connected to the phone line (we do not have an active subscription with them though). As and additional note, when they installed the BT line, the engineer cut the alarm cable and this had to be repaired later (could this be causing any problems).

I am not a technical person, but I am more than willing to try anything that anyone can suggest to me.... Sky have not been that helpful to date, but it could be that I am not saying the right things....

Anyway, I would really really appreciate any help that you could give me, and if i can give any better / additional information then please let me know.

Thank you so much.

Katie

2. Advertisement
      Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Please help me work out what's going on with my broadband connection!

You should not have attenuation of 59dB from only 2.2km from your exchange but this is what is causing your connection problem. Sky customer support don't usually cover themselves in glory but my guess is that your problem is primarily caused by the state of your internal phone wiring. This isn't Sky's fault.

I also suspect that your alarm is not connected via a microfilter. The best way of solving your problem is to locate your BT master socket. Unscrew the bottom half of the Master socket and plug the router directly into the test socket on the right hand side. Don't worry that this will temporarily disconnect your phone extensions.

Once connected this way, you should check the same statistics you have listed above. If you find a big improvement, you should plug everything back in and then buy a filtered faceplate. This will filter all of your extensions (including the alarm) and is the best way of maximising your performance. See
      ADSLNation XTE-2005 Professional Quality Master Faceplate Filter

If you wish, post back the stats when connected to the test socket and someone will advise.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hi Katie.
      In an ideal world your router would be pluged into a filter faceplate as Ratcliffes has suggested, but there are a couple of things you need to check first.

(1) Find the master socket and remove the lower half, this will expose the test socket, inside on the right.

(2) Now with the test socket exposed,check that there is no dial tone at any of your extension sockets (just plug in a phone and listern, they should be dead) Also check that the alarm panel has no line (there is often a light which goes out/comes on/changes colour to indicate this.

(3) If all is well, post stats from the test socket. If any of the above is not so then post back for more help.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

I did as you suggested, undid the faceplate on the master socket, and as you said the extension that is in the bedroom went off, taking the alarm with it. Have now discovered that there is a strange adaptor in that bedroom which must power the alarm - but it DID have a microfilter attached to it.

Anyway, plugged the modem into the test socket, but had to do it through a microfilter as I only have the small plastic connector on the end - is this right / ok??

Anyway, have logged back in now and my stats haven't changed at all:

System Up Time: 829:25:47

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 602 652 0 0 0 0:02:42
      LAN 15 0 0 0 0 829:25:47
      WLAN 10374151 9606234 0 0 0 829:25:20
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 378 kbps 409 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 36.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 14.0 db

Should I have left it for longer??

As another point, the wiring on the back of the faceplate looks awful....I've attached a picture in case it helps to explain anything!

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Katie
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help me work out what's going on with my broadband connection!-15022009015.jpg  

Thanks

Right. everything you have done so far is fine, it was very important that the extensions and the alarm panel lost their connection with the faceplate removed, so great.
      The next step is to follow Ratcliffes advice and get a filter faceplate, they come with full instructions on how to fit them and they are very effective at reducing any interferance from your internal wiring. You are right, the wiring on the faceplate could be neater, but as this will be on the filtered side of the filter faceplate and you will be remakeing these connections, you can tidy them up.

Once you have fitted the filter faceplate, you can then contact Sky and trouble shoot your slow speed with them.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for all of your help. Just before I order the faceplate, is there anything else that I should get (e.g. one of those KROHN tools) to help me fit it??

My dad was a BT engineer many moons ago, so I think I'll get him to fit it anyway, but I just thought I'd check!

Thanks again to both of you for all the help, I really appreciate it!

Katie

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't want to step on Brian's toesbut would it not be better to remove the line box and check that nothing is connected to the A-B terminals. There only appears to be one extension connected to the faceplate, which seems a bit strange if there is an alarm and an extension in the system. Usually connecting to the Test socket, where extensions are present, will make some difference to the stats. In this case there is very very little and what there is, is the wrong way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

You are quite right Tom.

@ Katie.
      Yes a Krohn tool will help but you can get a disposible one at the same time as you get the faceplate.

Get your Dad to

(1) Check the incomming A and B terminals on the back of the test socket to ensure that only the incomming line is connected there. He will know how to deal with any rouge wiring.

(2) Then he can fit the filter faceplate for you and then you can contact Sky. (Dads are handy things arent they)

When doing BB I always check all the way back to line entry to ensure there are no extensions connected "early" (your Dad will know what I mean)