Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Line problem

This is a discussion on Line problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry, should have established at the start if you had extensions and if they were wired into the faceplate of ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Line problem

Sorry, should have established at the start if you had extensions and if they were wired into the faceplate of the master socket. If you have none, ie, there are no wires connected to the back of the faceplate when you remove it, using the Test socket is not going to change much. You have proved that by the very similar results from both positions. Unfortunately, that means that any noise is due to faults in your external line.

It would be better to forget that for now and get your connection as fast as you can with the present set up. DLM should be finished it's training on your line now so you should phone Sky and ask them to manually configure your line as DLM has left it badly capped. If you are told that your line is getting as much speed as it can just hang up and try again until one of the Tier 1 agents puts you through to the Customer Suppot Team who will fix it in minutes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      colic00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Sorry, forgot to update, it has taken me two days to sort out. As apparently my name is not correct on sky's systems even though I have been with them for 12 years so they would not even talk to me.

They said my phone number was also incorrect, as they had my old phone number. You would have thought they would have updated that on there accounts when I placed the broadband order as I cannot do it on there webby?

So had to find all kinds of letters none of which differs from my name so think they guy I was talking to first time round must have been drunk!

They said my settings got stuck on test settings, and moved me up to 12meg over the phone. I am going to make sure this is all stable, would I be able to ring up in a week's time and ask if I can be put up to 16meg? As I did a line query on my phone number on the Be unlimited exchange and they said in theory my line could support up to 19meg (They only got enabled 2 days ago if I knew about that to start with I would have gone with them lol. My line stats are as the below pic now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As the SkyUser checker says-
      ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 16mb to 24mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

Unfortunately your noise margin is not very high which suggests you are getting as much as your line can handle, even if the checkers say you can get more. If you are in the Test socket, it means the noise is on your outside line, which only BT can fix. If there is not an obvious fault with the line they will not even try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

colic00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As the SkyUser checker says-
      ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 16mb to 24mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

Unfortunately your noise margin is not very high which suggests you are getting as much as your line can handle, even if the checkers say you can get more. If you are in the Test socket, it means the noise is on your outside line, which only BT can fix. If there is not an obvious fault with the line they will not even try.
      To be honest I am happy enough with 12, the thing that got my attention with Be unlimited was the increased upload speed which would be very handy to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12