Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

usb modem

This is a discussion on usb modem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi i have been with sky on sky max for about three weeks and i have got a sagem router ...

cakes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: broomhill sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

usb modem

hi i have been with sky on sky max for about three weeks and i have got a sagem router which i'm not overly keen on. my question is i still have my old speedtouch 330 usb modem is there some way for me to get my username and password and use this to connect instead of the sagem router.

one of reasons for me wishing to this is i live in a very small flat which has very few plugs and although i have extension plugs i really need a modem that doesn't need to be plugged in all the time and i read on this forum that your router needs to be on all the time. is this true ? i would appreciate any help you can give as my router stress is ruining my sky broadband experience

thanks

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: usb modem

Take a look at https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ for your User Name and Password.

You don't need to have the Sky Router on 24/7. Many people turn their router on as they turn their computer on - it takes 30 seconds or so for the modem part to connect to the Internet (much the same as a USB modem I would imagine).

Sky T&C state you have to use the Router provided by Sky. Some people don't without any apparent problem.

Personally I'd add an extra 4 way flying lead to my existing one to make extra sockets.

Thanks

thanks the reason i thought you couldn't turn off your router is because dlm is a permanent thing and if you turn it off at night (even though this is what it tells you to do in the installation bunf) that it would reduce your speed dramatically. does anyone know if that's true

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The only time you reaily should leave it on is during the first ten days of a new activation. After that it is up to you, but I have to ask why you would want to turn it off, apart from when on holyday etc? it uses so little juice. However I do speak as a rabbid anti-re-cycle person, who will have no truck with this global warming tripe so maybe that is the reason!!

Thanks

i don't have many plug sockets and alot of appliances i have as many extensions cables with plugs as is safe without starting fires lol but if i can switch off at night with no problems great thanks for the info