Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Home Network Set-up

This is a discussion on Home Network Set-up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I ordered my broadband last week (20/09/06) and my router arrived two days later (very impressed). I now have ...

John_Sayers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rottingdean A
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Home Network Set-up

Hi
      I ordered my broadband last week (20/09/06) and my router arrived two days later (very impressed). I now have to wait til 28th for activation.

My question is this: Can you connect two routers together. I currently have broadband provided by NTL with a cable router extended into my garrage. to provide wireless access to the garden / garrage etc. The problem I have is that the location of my new router (pluged into the BT socket) does not extend wireless to where I need.

Can I plug my second router into the first and extend my network or do I need to install a new BT socket where I need the router.

2. Advertisement
      Ratti3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      if you can disable the DHCP on the second router and use it just as a switch then it shouldnt be a problem. Its worth a try.

John_Sayers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rottingdean A
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Although not activated yet (due 28th - BT problem) I decided to try out my new network.

As said earlier I already have a BELKIN Wireless G Router for my NTL account which is ideally located to extend my Broadband into the garden and garrage. Fortunately the cat5 cable from my NTL modem runs past my master socket in the house and so I decided to plug it into port 1 of my new sky router.

I then configured my old router as an access point and changed it's IP address to fall within the netgears range (192.168.0.254).

From my main PC in the garrage I connect wirelessly to my old router and can happily change settings as I wish. This router then extends via the cat5 cable to the new Sky netgear router where I can again log in and access the settings.

All I need to do now is wait for my delayed activation.

Everything is configured back to the way it was for now but at least I know my network is working