Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hacked Router

This is a discussion on Hacked Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I set up a Sky DG934G router for my cousin using a strong WPA key and a strong password on ...

el_nino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hacked Router

I set up a Sky DG934G router for my cousin using a strong WPA key and a strong password on the router. I made sure remote management was turned off, there were no services or open ports on the router, and that every other computer on the network was reasonably secure. Now someone, somehow, managed to hack the router. I reset the router, changed the WPA and password, and later that day it was hacked again.

I'm pretty experienced when it comes to computers and networking, as well as extremely security conscious, but this has me totally baffled. I'm fairly certain the wireless was hacked by one of their neighbours but I have absolutely no idea how they could have done it. I've checked for rootkits and everything but found nothing.

I know it should be theoretically impossible for someone to crack a strong WPA key and router password, but the fact is someone did. I'm at a loss to explain it. Could someone be exploiting a bug in the wireless driver software via the ARP protocol or something? I'd appreciate any idea or suggestions anyone might have as to how it could have happened, and any other ways to increase security. Something like IPSec or VPN possibly? I don't know, it's something I'd have to research further. Like I say I'd really appreciate any help because I need to fix this as a matter of urgency.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Hacked Router

How do you know it was hacked? What did the intruder do? Did they gain access to the LAN?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They disabled the wireless and changed the password on the router. I had to use a wired connection to get on the network and then tried to log into the router management to check on things, but found out the password had been changed. I reset the router but the same thing happened again later that day.

As I say, I'm convinced it's someone within wireless range who's gaining access to the LAN, rather than someone on the internet.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

wireless setting, setup acces list, add all your pcs on and enable, use https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for a good password. disable ssid broadcast

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

all someone had to do was hard reset the router...

i'd turn off the wireless and use homeplugs...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skypaulusplus View Post
      wireless setting, setup acces list, add all your pcs on and enable, use https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for a good password. disable ssid broadcast
      It's too easy to spoof a MAC address and find out the SSID from a wireless packet sniffer.

What I've done in the mean time is set up a computer with a wireless packet sniffer to monitor any intruders and I've reinstalled the systems on every computer in the house, but I'm still worried it's not enough. If they can do it once, they must be able to do it again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So someone is breaking into your router so they can change the passwords and turn the wireless off? Seems a lot of trouble to go to to do that, when there is so much else they could do.
      Does it say anything in the router log? If this is being done, it may show as an Administrator login at a strange time. The relevant log could be lost on reset of course.

To be honest, I would suspect a dodgy router or corrupt firmware, although if you are in a well populated area there could be a script kiddie who gets a kick out of it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So someone is breaking into your router so they can change the passwords and turn the wireless off? Seems a lot of trouble to go to to do that, when there is so much else they could do.
      Does it say anything in the router log? If this is being done, it may show as an Administrator login at a strange time. The relevant log could be lost on reset of course.

To be honest, I would suspect a dodgy router or corrupt firmware, although if you are in a well populated area there could be a script kiddie who gets a kick out of it.
      Yeah, I lose the logs when I hard reset.

I think it's too sophisticated for a script kiddie, to be honest. Whoever did this is a professional (one of their neighbours is a network administrator for a big company, which makes me suspicious). It does make me wonder about the security of WPA though. Anyway, I'm going to contact one of the Sky technicians in the morning and see what they say about it, see if there's any known issues with these routers. Thanks for all the replies though, it was a lot quicker than I expected!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

NO one at Sky will have a clue - don't waste your time...

there have been articles saying WPA has been hacked but dunno of anyone who's actually done it yet...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

tphillips is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01372
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Thanks

As a previous poster said, enable MAC address filtering! Whilst it may be possible to spoof this, the attacker would first need to know what to spoof it to!

So, enable mac address filtering and disable the broadcast and you will be cool for school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast