Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unable to take the plunge!

This is a discussion on Unable to take the plunge! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I registered for broadband about 6 weeks ago and my registration code came in two weeks ago. After days of ...

uk_judgement is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sevenoaks
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unable to take the plunge!

I registered for broadband about 6 weeks ago and my registration code came in two weeks ago.
      After days of trying to 'purchase my broadband' and being on hold for hours, i called 08705515515 this morning at about 10am. I got straight through to a reasonably helpful lady who informed me that i could only purchase connect.
      Not really what i was expecting.

My local exchange in Sevenoaks is Easynet LLU'd (or however you explain it - i'm not too techie) so i should be able to get any package according to research i've done.

I emailed sky and they informed me that loads of people in my exchange area have taken up Sky bb so (and i quote) "the exchange is pretty full at present but we'll let you know when there will be room for you to join on a different package (ie not connect)".

Now, as i said i'm not too technically minded, but can someone confirm with me that that is a load of tosh? I was trying to sign up on the max package from dial-up so it's not as if i wanted the cheap package....
      Anyone else get similar talk?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      grumsta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hinckley (EMHINCK)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      There are cards called DSLAMS installed at the local exchange as part of LLU (Local Loop Unbundling). These can only take so many connections each (typically 50 lines per card, for a contention ratio of 50:1).

Once they're filled, new DSLAMS need to be installed.

Whether or not your exchange is full or not I don't know, check out www.samknows.com, it might help you.