Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Router Problem??

This is a discussion on Router Problem?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If no test socket unplug everything from the line apart from the router and filter in the first socket, if ...

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Router Problem??

If no test socket unplug everything from the line apart from the router and filter in the first socket, if there is no change call sky tech support up and get trouble shot for intermittant connection issues, there may be something up on the line or something up on the exchange end. Change to a new filter before calling them and when they ask tell them you have swapped out to a new filter and nothing has changed. If there is no test socket there won't be much troubleshooting to be done.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You say a friend put in a socket for you and this is connected to the junction box inside your door. Is the wire going to the kitchen connected into the junction box, or is it connected to the new socket? If it is connected to the old junction box, this probably accounts for some of your problems. This may be a job for SuperBrian

Looking at your router log, although I am no expert in reading these, it seems your connection is re-making itself for no apparent reason. Only twice in the log is the LCP shown as going down, but it is being Initialized innumerable times. Maybe someone better versed than I can say what is happening?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ChromeDome is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01270
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You say a friend put in a socket for you and this is connected to the junction box inside your door. Is the wire going to the kitchen connected into the junction box, or is it connected to the new socket? If it is connected to the old junction box, this probably accounts for some of your problems. This may be a job for SuperBrian

Looking at your router log, although I am no expert in reading these, it seems your connection is re-making itself for no apparent reason. Only twice in the log is the LCP shown as going down, but it is being Initialized innumerable times. Maybe someone better versed than I can say what is happening?
      Yes thats correct,he ran a wire from the old junction box to a new socket (which is also for Sky TV) The old wire that runs to the kitchen is also from this junction box.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is sky tv plugged into the filter?

Thanks

Yes it is via a 2 way adapter thing..like one of these 2, 3 or 4-Way Telephone Adaptors > Maplin

Thanks

Yes thats correct,he ran a wire from the old junction box to a new socket
      That's probably part of your problem. As a possible quick fix, take the faceplates off the socket boxes and take the wire off the No 3 terminals. This wire is not required and can cause interference.

You should really only have one wire from the junction box into the Master, then the extension wired from the master.

If you are using one of these multi adapters, make sure you plug the filter into the socket first, then plug the adapter into it. You should not use a 'loose' telephone extension to connect your router, they pick up too much interference and can badly deteriorate your signal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes this sounds like star wired sockets, which are not the best for BB. However you might get away with disconnecting the ring wire from the master (this is prob the socket in the kitchen) You remove the wire or wires from terminal 3.
      Now check the socket your mate fitted, and check that he has not fitted a second master, it should contain no components. If you are in any doubt, then remove any wire connected to 3 at this socket also

Thanks

Ok last night fingers crossed everything was ok when i got in from work.
      I checked the kitchen socket & removed the wire from 3. The new socket as mentioned just had the two wires.
      I will keep an eye on things over the w/end

I would like to say Thanks to all that help

Ian

Thanks

Right i came downstairs this morning & the Orange light was on the router again.I swopped over the micro filter,but didnt make much difference. So i rang Sky Technical....!!!??
      Wow that was an experience,i have now changed my channel to 6 & have to monitor it for 30 mins.

Thanks

I can't see what changing the wireless channel has to do with the internet connection Fobbed off springs to mind

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast