Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem

This is a discussion on Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been with Sky since June/July time last year and have had no problems. Recently I have experienced problems ...

welshness is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Problem

I have been with Sky since June/July time last year and have had no problems.

Recently I have experienced problems browsing pages, with redirect message on FireFox:

Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked.
      The ads in google on the right are gone, the default page for FF is right - Mozilla Firefox Start Page

The reason I am asking in here - is because I have rebuilt my laptop of over the weekend, thinking this would get rid of the problem, but it hasn't - all through the rebuild of my pc the modem has stayed on (the mrs uses wireless) she stopped picking up signal, which was to be expected but when i reinstalled FF the same problem is there.

Is there a problem with my router? If I need to do a factory reset as such, is there a way of doing this?

I think the problem, may be malware or spyware etc? anyone shed any light?\

thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Problem

it;s an FF issue...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is a problem with Firefox and I don’t think anyone has got to the bottom of it. One solution that sometimes works is to go to Tools>Options>Privacy tab. Click ‘Show Cookies’ and then Remove all cookies>Close. Under Private Data, click the ‘clear now’ button. Shut all open Firefox browsers and re- open.

Another cause is a corruption in the Download managers, including Downthemall and Flashgot, try disabling or uninstalling them.

Finally have a look at this post in the Mozillazine forum which make 2 other suggestion. –
      Redirection limit for this URL exceeded... • mozillaZine Forums
      It is important to understand that uninstalling Firefox does not remove you Firefox Profile.

If you have not already done so download and run the following applications. I doubt if malware is the cause of the Redirect problem, but it could account for disappearing adds. Are you running Adblock+?
      Editted
      SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
      Last edited by Isitme; 10-02-09 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Forgot links

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Can be caused by a cookie problem.

• Close Firefox
      • Locate where your Firefox profile is stored and find cookies.sqlite
      • Rename it to cookies.sqlite.old
      • Restart Firefox

If that doesn't solve the problem try deleting all cookies and then restart Firefox.

HTH

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Can be caused by a cookie problem.

• Close Firefox
      • Locate where your Firefox profile is stored and find cookies.sqlite
      • Rename it to cookies.sqlite.old
      • Restart Firefox

If that doesn't solve the problem try deleting all cookies and then restart Firefox.

HTH
      Tried this and nothing changed.

Seems strange this problem, as it was like it before i reinstalled my computer and reinstalled firefox?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

can you browse in IE? if so, use that until you find a solution...or Chrome...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This is a problem with Firefox and I don’t think anyone has got to the bottom of it. One solution that sometimes works is to go to Tools>Options>Privacy tab. Click ‘Show Cookies’ and then Remove all cookies>Close. Under Private Data, click the ‘clear now’ button. Shut all open Firefox browsers and re- open.

Another cause is a corruption in the Download managers, including Downthemall and Flashgot, try disabling or uninstalling them.

Finally have a look at this post in the Mozillazine forum which make 2 other suggestion. –
      Redirection limit for this URL exceeded... • mozillaZine Forums
      It is important to understand that uninstalling Firefox does not remove you Firefox Profile.

If you have not already done so download and run the following applications. I doubt if malware is the cause of the Redirect problem, but it could account for disappearing adds. Are you running Adblock+?
      Editted
      SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
      Tried the first part - nothing doing there.

I May use Chrome for a bit i think until i resolve this.

Thanks IamNotTheEnemy

Thanks

Seems strange this problem, as it was like it before i reinstalled my computer and reinstalled firefox?
      What Addons do you have? Usually when I install Firefox I immediately install a pile of plug-ins, adddons etc. If you do the same, one or more of them could be causing the problem, try disabling/uninstalling them and see if it helps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for all your help guys.

I seem to have resolved the problem (touch wood) I have followed the steps as per posts 5&7 and turned the router off. I have also installed that SUPERAntiSpyware which removed a few things - so that could have caused the problem.

Thanks again to all.
      Shaun

Thanks

If Superantispyware found some things, I would advise you also to run Malwarebytes. Different applications seem able to find different nasties, I have not tried one yet that could find and remove everything.
      One thing to remember is always turn off System Restore when running these type of applications, then turn it on again when you are clean. Malware can be saved into a Restore Point and re-emerge if you ever have to use it.

TomD

Useful Utilites