Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Simple question

This is a discussion on Simple question within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apparantly the max speed i can get is 4Mbps If that is taken from an exchange checker, that is a ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Simple question

Apparantly the max speed i can get is 4Mbps
      If that is taken from an exchange checker, that is a historic figure and nearly always wrong.

Try ours, what does it say?

SkyUser - Sky Broadband Availability and Exchange Checker

With an attenuation of 35.0 you could get as below:

ADSL2+ Speed Test
      We estimate your line is capable of between 10mb to 12mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      istat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

First test -
      Distance
      Direct: 1.01 mi
      By Road: 1.5 mi approx*

Service Enabled On
      ADSL Enabled: May 31, 2002
      DSL Max Enabled: March 31, 2006
      SDSL Not enabled: No Info
      21CN due : (PSTN) No Info
      21CN WBC (Broadband) No Info

ADSL RAG Code: AGEC
      ADSL MAX RAG Code: AEGEGEC

Second test -
      ADSL2+ Speed Test
      We estimate your line is capable of between 10mb to 12mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service.

I done this with 1.5 distance, and 35dB

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I think that you will see far better speeds than what you currently have.

Mine for example says:

Your BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 1024 (1 Mb)
      DSL Max: 3500 (3 Mb)

However, I get just under 7meg with an attenuation of 46 - your attenuation is a lot lower, so you are more likely to get a higher speed. (But you can see how far some of the figures are off for predictions on Exchange Checkers)

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As NR says, you should get a much better speed, but there appears to be a lot of noise on your line. With ADSLMax, which you are on, and an attenuation of 35dbs you should be syncing at around 8000kbps. The fact that you are not and your noise margin is fairly low, means that something is interfering with the ADSL signal. You should try plugging your router into your Test socket (link below) and see what sort of stats you get from there. With a bit of luck they will be much better, if not, the problem may be in your external line whiich can be more difficult to fix.

Have a look in the Cabling and Faceplate part of the forum for some tips on improving your noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

to be honest with you i do i have a slight feeling it could be do with my internetal routing in the flat, as i've got some very gold equipment i took from work, and my company has been going for about 15 years in total now, so god knows how old this router is.

I currently got a D-Link dsl-504, and im deffinatly looking to upgrade my internal at the moment, i've ordered some new microfilters, some new wires etc. to get everything up-2-date again, router will come soon as im waiting for the right internet! but ill give that test socket ago and see if theres much difference!

Cheers

Thanks

The D-Link dsl-504, is quite an old router and pre-dates ADSL2. If you have not already done so, you should go to Dlink's site and download and install the latest firmware. This will not matter if you move to Sky as you will get an ADSL2+ capable router, but it may help in your present situation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

such a late reply... and a good reason lol

Well i took your advice isitime, and went to update my router, as i'm pretty sure i couldnt remember the last time i checked this out, so anyway i went ahead started to go through the steps of updating, and at one my point i had to restart my router and stuff, came back on, and ever since then the router hasnt been touchable from an interface point of view, it seemed the firmware didnt seem to help, i havent been able to get inside the route to do any changes to it, and there is no reset button on the router to set anything back to default, so i've basically given up.

I managed to speak to a neighbour, and i borrowed his NETGEAR DG834-wireless and got things working again, but i woke up yesturday with internet being down, and i've managed to figure out the internet bill hasnt been paid, so bit of an epic fail since i tried updating the firmware lol.

And i figured, after a silly mistake of not checking, that the BB Mid package, has a 40GB limit, and as fair as i know, im a real heavy user of the internet so i think just going with BB Max could be the right direction for me

So when i can i'll post the information from this new router, and it can probably give a more true reading, when i got the internet working with this router again(before i got disconnected) i managed to try some torrent downloading, and got about 700-800kb/s so i think it did improve with a new router ^^
      Last edited by istat; 16-02-09 at 12:23 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update: is there a way to find out if my BT phone line has been cut off for ADSL connectivity, i know for a fact i havent recieved / call out of my phone for the past 3-4 months, but i've been with the internet, but am slightly worried if my phone line has been dissabled from that, or is that impossible? does adsl work on any phone line, aslong the phone line is there with a phone number assigned to it.... ?

Thanks

Getting a bit confused, have you moved to Sky and been activated?
      ADSL can be taken off a phone line, it is known as a cease. Normally if you are transferring from one ISP to another you would use a MAC which leaves ADSL enabled but transfers the 'ownership' of the line from one ISP to another. If you cancelled your broadband with your previous supplier as opposed to obtaining a MAC, the ADSL would be ceased.

Do you have dial tone on your line?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry for the confusing-ness, ill make it a bit more understandable

1. I tried doing firmware updates on the thursday and that failed miserably, and took away any type off access to my router.
      2. Recieved new router from neighbour on friday, internet working fine again.
      3. Went out on friday night around16:00, and then returned on saturday the following evening around 16:00 and my internet had been turned off since, but i got a feeling its because my bill hasnt been paid for.

I'm just wondering to have an ADSL isp, does the Landline needs to be accepting incoming calls, and outgoing calls? or does this not affect anything? Aslong as i got a phoneline with a phone number assigned to it? (basically is their any real major requirements in that area to connect to an ADSL internet provider)
      I'm only asking this as my dad hasnt been paying for the phone bill, and it hasnt been touched for the past 5 months, my phone cannot currently recieve phone calls, or ring out, but still has a designated phone number to it, and needed to know if there are any important details i needed to know about the phone line connectivity.

Tonight im going to find out if my internet has been turned off due to my ISP turning it off, or there is any BT Faults, as i'm really sure their has been nothing changed to my internal wireing, got a feeling its due to bills not being paid. Think i need to start getting the ISP taken out of my bank.

As far as i know yes i do have a dial tone, but when i try to ring people, i just get told to check with bt customer service to sort out my bill.

hope this helps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast