Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ethernet cable or the hub

This is a discussion on ethernet cable or the hub within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just wondering what would better to use a 15-20 meter ethernet cable from my router upstairs to my pc or ...

Joe83 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131 660
      Broadband ISP: bt connect?
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

ethernet cable or the hub

just wondering what would better to use a 15-20 meter ethernet cable from my router upstairs to my pc or instead one of those ethernet hubs?i do alot of gaming so need the best connection possible,thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: ethernet cable or the hub

I am not sure what you mean by an ethernet hub, that is something that is used to distribute a network, similar to the ports on the router. Do you mean something like a homeplug network? If so, these are far better than wireless, but not as good as a dedicated ethernet cable, provided you can find a suitable route to lay it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

i was told today a caple any more than 15 meters will cause problems with my speed,hmm.i still need to buy 20

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

The longer the cable the more chance of noise/interference. I have ran many cables over 15m and never really had any problems, just remember to keep them away from any mains wires if you can.

I would look into the homeplug route, you can get a couple for 40 from e-bay and that way no need for cables and you can just keep adding to them, you could even fit a switcher to the far one and use it as a hub if you didn;t want to buy any more homeplugs to increase your access points.

They work similar to a direct lead, remove any lag for gaming etc and dropouts that you get with wireless and you can get some with a wireless extender built in for increasing the wireless range for laptops etc.

In my opinion, worth every penny and one of the best value for money improvements I have made to my system, it also means you can turn off wireless in the router and increase security.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i was told today a caple any more than 15 meters will cause problems with my speed,hmm.i still need to buy 20
      Whoever told you that had little knowledge of networking. An ordinary Cat5 cable is rated to 100metres and Cat5e, which is now more common, to over 300metres. You will find little or no drop in a 20 metre length. An RJ11(router to phone box) will show a drop off with longer lengths, but this is not what you need.
      As Smithy says, Homeplug is a good solution and tidier than ethernet cable if you cannot hide it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I have had cable around office's and warehouses, used for chucking data down(PC's, printers, printservers, also for telephoney). Some of these were outside also.

I have never had a single problem with the data sending or receiving.

The cable lengths were anywhere between 5m and 200m.

For the home I would recommend homeplugs though.

Thanks

thanks guys