Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Connection is crawling...

This is a discussion on Connection is crawling... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Are you disconnecting and reconnecting your router a few times a day? I am sure others will disagree, but this ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connection is crawling...

Are you disconnecting and reconnecting your router a few times a day? I am sure others will disagree, but this is one way to get your profile back up. It will not reset itself in the same way an LLU connection does. Do not overdo it by booting too often at short intervals or it will be interpreted as a line fault, every 4 hours until it comes up could do a lot of good and will do no harm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Macca88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you disconnecting and reconnecting your router a few times a day? I am sure others will disagree, but this is one way to get your profile back up. It will not reset itself in the same way an LLU connection does. Do not overdo it by booting too often at short intervals or it will be interpreted as a line fault, every 4 hours until it comes up could do a lot of good and will do no harm.
      I have tried this already sadly. After speaking to sky it's been reset a few times but no change.

Thanks

Are you rebooting the router? If so try powercycling by turning off the power for a minute then turn it back on. This is said to be better than booting as it ensures the connection is broken and remade.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you rebooting the router? If so try powercycling by turning off the power for a minute then turn it back on. This is said to be better than booting as it ensures the connection is broken and remade.
      I was powering it down and rebooting yes. If it's not working by tomorrow it's time to phone Sky again as they told me to do.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Macca88
      Hi When I had my line reprofiled Sky CST told me not to reset my router until after 72hrs so it will have a chance to sync then said there is no reason ever to turn of the router and if rebooting do so in the quietest part of the day (I took this to mean AM when you get high speeds)
      Steve

Thanks

As I said, there will be those that disagree. However I base my advice on that given by Plusnet, with whom I was on ADSLMax before moving to Sky. They, not being an LLU provider, are trained in the use of this mode and know what should be done, when you are first connected and subsequently when you run into problems. There are very few in Sky support who really understand the difference between their LLU product and BT's Connect(ADSLMax).
      You should read Plusnet's information on ADSLMax, it is comprehensive and informative. It is a great pity Sky do not have something similar to give guidance to their Connect customers.

Plusnet's - Advanced Guide to Broadband Max

TomD

Useful Utilites

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

As your profile was only 135 this shows at some stage you had a sync rate of 160,
      As sky have said give it 72 hours and your profile should change ,
      Keep running them tests as if cst have to log a fault it will help them prove the case .

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Isitme
      Hi They talk about Dynamic Line Management DLM and yes I understand But Rate Adaptive Management Box RAMBo for short. Which is Bt`s is there a difference or are they the same
      it is just that RAMBo does not bring your line to an acceptable level it crushes your line that is what it did to me 350k IP profile 135k actual throughput so If line is left it will resync minehas been rectified that is why I said

Hi When I had my line reprofiled Sky CST told me not to reset my router until after 72hrs so it will have a chance to sync then said there is no reason ever to turn of the router and if rebooting do so in the quietest part of the day (I took this to mean AM when you get high speeds)

Exchange:
      Thanks

An update: My connection has gained speed and I'm profiled at 500kbps, a damn site better, but my line can achieve a bit more. I'm connected at 1344 currently.

Thanks

What like are your stats now? Is the noise margin still high, ie, in double figures?

is there a difference or are they the same
      They are different but do much the same job. DLM or Dynamic Line Management is actually a generic term for any system that automatically adjusts the speed of the connection. RAMBo is a form of DLM but is not the same system used by Sky. Sky use an American system which I can't actually remember the name of but I think it is DLS. There are others on the forum who know more about how these systems work than I do.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast