Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Problems with the Sky DNS

This is a discussion on Problems with the Sky DNS within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I should not really increase your speed as such, but it should improve the response. As Paul said earlier, loosing ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problems with the Sky DNS

I should not really increase your speed as such, but it should improve the response. As Paul said earlier, loosing connection to the servers does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with the DNS. The first thing to check is if the router is dropping it's connection with the internet or with your devices. The next time it drops type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar and see if you can connect with the router. If you can look at the status and see if you have an IP address for your ADSL Port connection. This will be in the forum of 9*.2**.2**.6, not the 192.168.0.1 you will see for the LAN port.

If you are using wireless it is possible the wireless connection is dropping, so check with a cable connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      blisteringblue is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Having DNS problems all the time now. It is only on wireless Vista laptops and the wireless is still connected because I can open the router config page via 192.168.0.1

Been happening most days for the last couple of weeks. Have printed the instructions for open DNS and will try those.

All a little annoying really because been on sky for nearly 2 years and other than the old router reboot issues before the new firmware it's been fine (touch wood).
      Post Sky DLM and after some cowboy contracters and BT ruined my line quality (was 6mb pre DLM):

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is possible you have a corrupt DNS cache. To fix this open a Command Prompt with elevated privileges (Run as Administrator) . In the command window type the following and then hit enter: ipconfig /flushdns
      You will receive a message confirming it has been done.

Another thing that can cause problems with Vista is having IPv6 enabled. To disable it, open the Network and Sharing Centre and right click Manage Network Connections in the left pane. Right click the icon for your Wireless adapter and click Properties. Untick the box for Internet Protocol Version 6 and close out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

TopCat1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It doesn't seem to be losing the connection with the devices themselves but loses the connection with the internet. However it only seems to be effecting my main computer whilst my laptop and my games console both work fine which seems odd because if the router was losing connection to the internet then shouldn't both of those be effected aswell. Anyway i'll give both methods shown on this page and see what happens.
      Last edited by TopCat1; 08-02-09 at 04:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12