Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WMP xbox 360 sharing

This is a discussion on WMP xbox 360 sharing within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. I am currently on Sky mid package and connected with my Sky DG834GT router. My PC is connected to ...

kanwar786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WMP xbox 360 sharing

Hi.

I am currently on Sky mid package and connected with my Sky DG834GT router. My PC is connected to the router through a WG111T wireless adapter. My xbox 360 is connected with the official microsoft a/b/g/ wireless adapter.

I play videos from my PC to my xbox 360 (dashboard) through Windows Media Player Sharing. Generally i have no problems with this but i have recently started streaming 720p .mp4 files to my xbox 360 and am having problems. The video pauses up and the sound becomes disorientated. The videos have a bitrate of about 4mbps so my connection should be able to handle it so i don't understand whats going on. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

My sky connection syncs at about 7232kbps download and 320kbps upload and generally get 6mb+ from speedtest and downloads and so forth.

Also my WG111T adapter only shows 54mbps on both windows and netgear utility when it should really be 108mbps because i have it on auto 108mbps on the router and am using a compatible router.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: WMP xbox 360 sharing

I do know that the Xbox doesn't take all formats of mp4 and DivX.

Do you have the additional media pack installed from the Marketplace (free)?

If it still doesn't work you may need to try and convert them into DivX which does work with the media pack in 720p.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for replying. i dont think thats an issue as if it was the xbox 360 wouldnt display the files at all/let you play them.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Playing Videos of any variety through wireless is a dead loss. I am surprised that the SD versions play but the 720p HD ones will definitlely struggle. I would be surprised if the true bandwidth requirement was a little as 4MB/s for a 720p video but even if it was, stuttering and picture break up would not be surprising.

Ditch the MS wireless adapter and use a pair of homeplugs for a true 85 ish MB/s connection which won't bug out when someone in your street uses a microwave! You can pick up a pair for 50 these days and you won't regret it. Online gaming will also improve.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ratcliffes View Post
      Playing Videos of any variety through wireless is a dead loss. I am surprised that the SD versions play but the 720p HD ones will definitlely struggle. I would be surprised if the true bandwidth requirement was a little as 4MB/s for a 720p video but even if it was, stuttering and picture break up would not be surprising.

Ditch the MS wireless adapter and use a pair of homeplugs for a true 85 ish MB/s connection which won't bug out when someone in your street uses a microwave! You can pick up a pair for 50 these days and you won't regret it. Online gaming will also improve.
      I agree, I did this and I would never go back to wireless, I used to get lag and poor connections to servers, now I get none of either. Plays all my files across the network too without stutter etc.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks alot guys really appreciate your help. what are these 'homeplugs' you talk of ratliffes how do they allow you to use internet then? thanks again mate.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

powerline homeplugs turn the electrical wiring in your house into datalines that carry ethernet signals.

They come as an adaptor which plugs into the mains and have an ethernet connector in them, you stick one near your router, put an ethernet cable from the router into that one.
      Take the other one, plug that in near the Xbox and plug an ethernet lead from the Xbox to that adaptor.

You need to get 85 meg/sec ones (beware there are 3 different speeds which are not interchangeable) and you can get a pair from Dabs.com for 40-50.

Avoid Netgear as their technical support is dire. I like the look of the belkin ones as they have sleek plugs that go into the mains, other ones have quite chunky adaptors which can block other sockets.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so you need one for your router and one for every other device you want to add right?

btw do you know why my WG111T is only showing 54mbps speed when i am connected at 4-5 bars wireless (over 80%) and am using a 108mbps compatible router namely the DG834GT?

EDIT: I've just done a test on my xbox 360. I saved a file onto a USB storage device to play on my xbox 360 (thereby excluding network problems) and found that even then the xbox 360 pauses up at certain times in the video. This does not happen at all when the video is played on my PC and it is completely genuine HD content.

Should i contact microsoft to give me a replacement xbox 360?
      Last edited by kanwar786; 05-02-09 at 09:04 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

come on guys someone please help. i dont want to double post but im quite desperate.

btw the HD files im talking about are 720p .mkv files which i've converted to .MP4 with gotsent.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmm,

The problem is that you don't know where the bottleneck is - I cannot say for sure that your XBox isn't faulty but I am not convinced that it is either. There are just so many places things can go wrong and a faulty XBox with no other symptoms wouldn't be the most likely explanation.

Your test with a USB key isn't conclusive as you haven't said what the Spec of the USB key is and I don't know what the spec of the XBox's USB port is either. I just don't know if it should work that way at all. If you used the same file you were trying to stream via wireless ethernet, there is just as much chance that the problem is with the file itself.

Bottom line is that you need plenty of bandwidth to play video over ethernet - Can you try connecting the XBox directly to your PC using a crossover ethernet cable? Get a known good MP4 which plays on someone else's setup and try that. Only once you have ruled out the improbable should you consider the impossible to be the cause! A faulty XBox isn't at all impossible but it certainly isn't the most likely IMHO.

I have my 1080p MP4s on a NAS and they play over my wired ethernet on a hacked AppleTV device no problem whatsoever. I am sure your XBox would do the same if all bottlenecks are eliminated. Don't think I can be of any more help without hard data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast